• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 4GB flash drive for Vista ReadyBoost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

What is the fastest 4GB flash drive. I want to buy one to use with Vistas ReadyBoost feature. Not really looking for everyones opinion on if ReadyBoost is or isn't worthwhile. Just looking for the fastest flash drive available. Doesn't matter if it's usb, sd, memory stick or whatever. It just needs to be 4GB and it needs to be fast. So far this looks to be the best one I can find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227145

Anyone know of something better?

LOL that patriot must really be the good stuff because it comes in an out of stock about every other day. Should have snagged one up yesterday when I had the chance. I think its lame how both of those drives have such huge bodies. Seems like they'd slim it up a bit so it doesn't hog up all usb ports around it.

Thanks for the excellent link. According to the review, that Buffalo drive looks great. Only problem is I can not seem to find any online. Anyone know where I can get one?

Actually, if you take a peek at the specs, the Flash Voyager is slightly faster than Patriot Flash Drive.

I've got the Flash Voyager and I couldnt be more happy with it. I'm loving the 10 year warranty ( 2 flash drives from different vendors have crapped out on me after a years worth of use.)

Think of it as RAID 0. If the memory chip can read/write at say 10mbps, then 2 of them on RAID 0 would be able to do 20mbps.

I remember from Anandtech's Vista review that readyboost itself can only use one drive. It may be possible to manually set up a dual-drive system somehow though then have readyboost use that?

No. The dual channel is built right in to the flash drive. The flash drive has 2 memory chips + a small circuit that is the brains of the flash drive. Your computer can't see its any different then any other flash drive, other then the speed.

hyperasus said:
No. The dual channel is built right in to the flash drive. The flash drive has 2 memory chips + a small circuit that is the brains of the flash drive. Your computer can't see its any different then any other flash drive, other then the speed.

Oh. Well considering you bought two identical drives it was a bit confusing what you meant.

OH sorry to confuse. I got 2 drives because I have 2 computers running vista.

Never Too Late> List of Compatible Flashdrives Here!

Yo brothers and sistas! :soda:

Just incase you fall upon this topic, here is a cool BRIT-list webLINK of various
flashdrives and USB units that are infact compatible with Windows Vista or higher, for the use of Microsoft's "READYBOOST" memory-hike feature!

http://www.grantgibson.co.uk/misc/readyboost/

This is definitely a No-Brainer when using your laptop or PC for serious gaming and/or, if you're a seriously SICK Music Producer and need to Man-handle the CPU suckage with those fancy Digi Recording Studios such as FL Studio 8 XXL Producers Edition or higher, Cubase5, ProTools or, Reasons3 or higher, etc. etc, yada yada. :beer:

Good Luck bambinos! Ciao. Arrivederci

Last edited:
I use the OCZ ATV Turbo its the quickest I could find at the time. I love readyboost
the only stick that cured my popup in fallout 3
also tried a few 16 and 32 gig but nothing like the OCZ ATV Turbo (sure a friend was saying Intel are working on one that will blow the existing speeds away)

Back