• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sonata II H20 setup complete

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Just got done my Sonata II H20 setup. Wondering what everyone thinks? This is only my 2nd h20 setup i've built (maybe 3rd, its been a while lol). Overall i think the case was a lot easier to do then i originally anticipated. Heck i didn't even need a saw of any kind to do this lol. Just my trusty tin snips and i was good to go :p

P1010032.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010029.jpg

Very nice, especially that monitor! :) Did you make that shroud thingy for the rad on the back, or did you grab that somewhere?

Actually i bought it off a member here :) Evilsizer. I believe he custom made it, and did a hell of a job on it i must say. Very clean cuts, and everything lined up perfectly.

I would have turned the rad so the barbs face inward and cut holes for tubing higher up to avoid the extra loop resistance and that funky bend, as well as make the case more contained, but this is solid work. Hope that 120 is pulling air into the case. That 7900GS is begging for water :p

thideras said:
PINK!?!??!

lmao i knew someone would say that. I went to the local auto part store to grab some of that blue VW antifreeze. Asked the guy at the counter for the VW antifreeze, and he handed me a bottle and said "here this is for VW's". But the bottle was not see through. Took his word and assumed it was the blue stuff (bottle also said "For VW's"), got home and realized it was red. When i mixed it with the water it obviously turned pink lol. I was just to lazy, and pressed for time, to go back to the auto part store and get something else lol

jackrungh said:
I would have turned the rad so the barbs face inward and cut holes for tubing higher up to avoid the extra loop resistance and that funky bend, as well as make the case more contained, but this is solid work. Hope that 120 is pulling air into the case. That 7900GS is begging for water :p

Yeah i wanted to do that. I was lacking the right tools, and the fact that it would of been a tough mod to work around the pci expansion slots. I am gonna see how i like the 7900gs on air. Most likely i will add a block to it later next week lol. Think the single 120mm rad will be able to handle a gpu + cpu?

stang8118 said:
I went to the local auto part store to grab some of that blue VW antifreeze. Asked the guy at the counter for the VW antifreeze, and he handed me a bottle and said "here this is for VW's". But the bottle was not see through. Took his word and assumed it was the blue stuff (bottle also said "For VW's"), got home and realized it was red.

VW changed their stock antifreeze in the late 90's from Pentosin G11 to Pentosin G12. When you go and ask for VW antifreeze, they will always give you the newer G12, which is pink. Not every place will have G11, but it is still stocked especially at used car dealerships and garages. I hunted down my bottle of blue G11 at a classic Porsche restoration shop. Don't ask me why they had it :)

stang8118 said:
Think the single 120mm rad will be able to handle a gpu + cpu?

More than likely you won't burn up, but you would generally be putting a lot of strain on that little rad, and would either have to get a really high cfm fan, or just live with the temps and the lower OC's they bring. My current system is just a cpu on a double, and I'm assembling a new one with cpu+gpu on a triple, simply because I require the silence of good fans undervolted and will have more area to compensate for lack of airflow.

Last edited:
Wow what have you done there?

You should have put the pump right under the block and the inlet facing the back holes. The pump should have just push the water straight up to the block, then from the block to the rad and from the rad back to the pump. The T line will then be outside or inside between the rad and pump, right before the pump inlet.

Anyway, i really do you need to re do the loop for better performance. Dont hestitate to mod that case. Makes it once and for all.

someone forgot to pm me a linky!:eh?:

does indeed look good on/in that case. no i didnt make the shroud i bought it a long time ago when a guy here was making them for the Dtek heatercores. looks like 4ft was enough huh? how are the temps in the system?

Back