• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White water to storm 0c drop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So I picked up a storm from our classies and threw it in. I was expecting something like a 5c drop from my WW block. I got 0.

Oh well... The slight plus is that my temps so far seem to fluctuate less.

--pak

Hard mounting... don't use the springs... allows for more pressure against the chip.

Make sure you have a backplate. :)

And if your 4200 is unlidded, criss cross pattern for even pressure, dont' crush the core. :)

If he had no IHS on his CPU he would likely have seen a good 3C better with the Storm... pak what are you using to view temps? Coretemp?

Did you take it apart to clean out the little "jets". If they are clogged the storm doesnt work very well. (considering you got it 2nd hand the last owner might not have cleaned it out properly)

How much better does a "hard mout" ie without the springs gain in preformance?

I have always used springs thinking that I could damage stuff if I the water block is pressed down too hard.

On the other hand it could BE that the old setup is just as good as the storm, (I consider the storm a little "over rated")

The jets on the Storm are clean as a whistle! I would know... I cleaned it meself.

No tarnish anywhere on the block, and the base was lapped up to 2000 grit on a piece of glass to a nice mirror finish.

It's not overrated when you use it on IHSless chips.

IHS is gone. Have had it off for a while now. I will try hard mounting today or tommorow. How much pressure do I want to put on this? I used a64info which shows temps exactly the same as core temp. I don't use coretemp cuz it causes me to crash. New and old version.

--pak

I usually just hand tighten... can't say exactly how much force...

Ps. I hope you're using dots or an old NB foam square to even out the pressure on the die.

Also... are you compared CURED AS5 temps to NONCURED AS5 temps?

Yea, I am. I normally only see 1-2c drop after a few days of as5 curing. Which is something, but I was expecting more. Maybe I was expecting too much.

--pak

Not good yet, I just got home. Going to try to hard mount it now. I upgraded from a white water block.

--pak

sorry I was asking the other dude who sold you the strom what he up graded to.... because the storm is pretty good... Im wondering what is better??

Ahhh...no worries. Im sure hell respond shortly. But fuzion and apogee GT are better than storm w/ IHS. Storm wins with no IHS.

As for me, hard mounting did nothing for me. I am still about 15c above ambient fully loaded at 1.55vcore.

Maybe it is time for me to start exploring new cooling options.

--pak

Maybe the storm is more restricitve than your old water block and you need a better pump in order to get its full potential.....

Back