• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant drag/drop copy/paste sometimes in Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys,

as the title states, sometimes it won't let me drag and drop files places...it just comes up with the circle with the cross through it. VERY irritating because I have to restart the computer to fix it.

It just did it on my new laptop, so now it happens on both computers with vista now.

It's weird though because sometimes it's just certain folders that it happens with.

Any ideas?

Thanks, ps2cho

Is this w/ Vista x86 or x64, are the PC's fully updated via WU, is this just with certain types of files, and are you trying to copy / move within the root volume or from drive to drive?

redduc900 said:
Is this w/ Vista x86 or x64, are the PC's fully updated via WU, is this just with certain types of files, and are you trying to copy / move within the root volume or from drive to drive?

Vista x86

Any file, folders, everything. It just doesn't want to drag anywhere at all. When I right click and hit cut...then go to paste it is not highlighted meaning it didn't cut...same deal with copy.

Within the root volume.

ps2cho said:
Sometimes it won't let me drag and drop files places...it just comes up with the circle with the cross through it
The fact that this only happens "sometimes" is what's confusing. Do you have software installed that's common to both the notebook and the desktop PC? Have you modified any of the same settings on both, such as UAC, Group Policies, Taskbar Properties-->"Drag and Drop", Permissions, etc? And are both fully updated via Windows Update (both Critical and Recommended updates)?

redduc900 said:
The fact that this only happens "sometimes" is what's confusing. Do you have software installed that's common to both the notebook and the desktop PC? Have you modified any of the same settings on both, such as UAC, Group Policies, Taskbar Properties-->"Drag and Drop", Permissions, etc? And are both fully updated via Windows Update (both Critical and Recommended updates)?

Yep both are updated and the only "out of the norm" settings that I have fiddled with is restoring the defaults on the indexing control panel.

I have disabled UAC on both too. It must be a program I have installed on both because there is no other reason because they both have separate Vista DVD's (one OEM and one preinstalled from dell).

But which program who knows!?

Back