• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on 4gb memory.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silf

Hello,

If anyone has the time, i am looking to buy 4gb of memory. It's for a gaming rig, but i am just out of touch with current ram.

I dont want to skimp on any parts, but i am not paying £400 either ($800). I want to be able to OC it also... and as i said it's for a gaming rig to go with a Q6600 and 8800GTX, so needs to be fassst! :D

What can you guys reccommend? If it helps, here is some UK sites i can buy from:

www.memoryc.com

www.ebuyer.co.uk

www.scan.co.uk

Thanks

Thanks EmAn, you think 6400 is > than 8000+? As i am putting alot of money into this gaming rig, future proofing as much as possible too, so don't want to skimp if i can help it.

Also, how well does that G.Skill you linked to OC?

...i am looking to buy 4gb of memory.
...I want to be able to OC it...
...so needs to be fassst!
...to go with a Q6600
What can you guys reccommend?
It doesn't work the way you think it does. If there was a "best" memory for Q6600's, then there would be a post on every computer forum in the world saying so...and no one would be able to say otherwise.

The "best" memory is the one that does what you want it to do.
What FSB and dividers will your MOBO run?
What speed do you need?
How much latency will you give up to get that speed?
1T or 2T?
Vdmm?
Do you know anything about Tref and Maximun Asyncronous Latency?
Are you aware that some memory controllers change their "strap" at various FSBs?

You have two choices:

Ask your question adding the MOBO and cooling you plan on using, and how high you want to overclock it....you'll get a lot of opinions and little facts though.

Learn to overclock your new system, then the answer will become apparent to you. You really won't know until you try. Generally by the time you do your second or third memory purchase you'll know enough to get what is "best" for your system.

Unless there is some specific software that you plan on running that requires 4 gigs (and I mean requires, not that you just think will run better on 4 gigs) you will be better off with 2 x 1gig.

from what ive heard that memory overclocks pretty well but it all really depends on the system your gonna build so if you could tell us what the rest of your components are gonna be then we can give you the best possible answer

Thanks for the replies, as i mentioned i am still learning. But! I don't want to go out there and just buy some random stuff and find it won't OC well.

I want to get components that are tried and tested. The 4gb over 2gb is somewhat me futureproofing, aswell as i was going to try Vista 64.

As for the other parts EmAn, i was thinking:

Q6600
Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard (but i am most definately open to advice here)
2 x 500gb Samsung Spinpoint -raid0'd
XFX 8800 GTX (open to suggestions on better make GTX models)
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Heatsink (Unless anyone can advise me on better water cooling)
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU
MX518 Mouse
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI-Express

I have a Trinitron 21" Monitor. Think i will also get Klipsh 2.1 Speakers.

Anyway, yeah i am very open to learning, i just want to get the best out of my system for gaming. Future-proofing also for the likes of UT2007/Crysis.

I'd go with Mushkin's pricey but wonderful XP line. They have absolutely awesome customer service, and excellent memory.

I wouldn't consider it future proofing cpu wise if you want to buy a lower model kentsfield this late in the game.

Back