• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp 64bit: 16gb RAM limit, Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

The workstation machines I use have a 16gb ram limit, they're Dell 490s (Xeon). However my Itanium servers run 32 - 128 gb of ram. Where the bottleneck? Mobo, CPU, OS?
If I am correct, I am physically limited by the mobo, but the OS should be able to handle anything I want.

Last edited:
Posted because I thought I might get a quick answer at work. Now at home was able to answer my own question. Obviously each system is hardware limited. The machines dell offer can use 8, 32 or 64gb of ram. XP 64bit can only access 16gb natively, but can access more via virtualization. Windows server 2003 datacenter can use 128gb.
Of course Vista 64bit can access loads of ram, but it'll be years before we get that!

yellowhello, I believe hes referring to the fact that Vista x64 can support up to 128Gb of ram, bit it will be quite a while before were running that much memory in our systems.

Actually I meant it will be a few years before my corporation adopts vista.

Back