• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did my abit IP35 pro brick itself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

no issues leading up to this. ran like clockwork.

shut it down last night as always, no problems.

go to turn it on today and it just sits there at the post screen, showing 3375mhz (375x9,1 core)

ok, thats strange, cause its a quadcore pc, always read it correctly.

and thats where it stayed...

on and off a few times till it clears the cmos itself I guess, cause now I have the monster truck splash screen. I go ahead and clear the cmos manually just to be sure. no dice.

the post readout on the mobo shows it hanging on 50, which according to the manual is "USB initialization". I unplugged all the USB items(not that anything was new or anything of the sort). as well as I unplugged the card reader from the mobo usb pins.

no change.

in other random trouble shooting, I removed all but 1 stick of ram, and tried 2 different sticks in 2 different slots. I also unplugged the sound card.

I dont know where else to go from there though...

fwiw Ive never flashed the bios, it IS overclocked, but afaik its stable and has been for almost 2 months.

as for software, I installed that horrid program apple calls itunes, which I did update with absolutely no success yesterday, and while its caused me all sorts of problems I wouldnt expect it would reach its tenticles all the way to my bios...

If you have unplugged everything possible, then it might be dead. The only next step would be to completely remove the mobo and make sure nothing is "shorting" out. I have seen it happen. Most of the time it just doesn't post though.

--pak

i had this issue when testing a set of fresh RMA sticks from corsair 2x1gig PC2-6400C4's. i would get it to post just to the cpu read out. i cleared the cmos some 6 times before being able to get the ram to count and go in. i upped the volts to what they needed after they same thing, aslo no matter what range 1.8-2v the sticks wouldnt work. this was with 2 good working comps, my ip35-pro and IP35-e. i can take my PK's and put them in and the comp boots right up. there might be something wrong with the ram in this case. cause no matter what stick in any config i still get the same thing. might want to nab some cheap ddr2-667 2gig kit from the egg for $70, while you rma those.

it does read the ram, I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard so I could tab out of the splash screen, and it does find the 1 stick of ram, so the failure is apparently after the ram.

it wont boot with the ram at 1.8, but it has never had any issues posting with it, so I could easily up the voltage as nescessary. plus being that I have 4 sticks, all of which functioned a day ago for 2 months, the idea that all 4 would die at once... no, that seems impossible.

all indicates its the mobo, question is if its something that can be reset(I cant fathom how), or replaced and could it happen again.

Ive contacted abit to see what the course of action is. truth is, I just dont want to admit that its dead and Im out of luck for a PC the next week. plus all of the rewiring.

if the board posts and you can get to the bios to up any voltage or cpu speeds its not the board... im still going with ram on this one and i never said DEAD,i said dieing. there is a difference with that.

have you tried bare booting, just vidoe card, 1 stick o ram? cause if you can get into bios and get the system to cycle to the screen before it boots to windows, its not your board. if i had money to put down, it would be that the mobo is fine and another part in your rig.

i have read posts where D9 ram high end stuff just dies for no reason after working solid for 2 months so you cant count out the ram. Right now it seem the High drive strength to the ram from the intel mobo seems to be the issue with ram just up and dieing or just dead. one of my sticks D9 based gskill hz's just died for no reason after only 2-3months of use at ddr2-1118 [email protected] volts. there is no reason it should have died with that low of volts. Though i am reading of some of the balli kits just either one or both sticks dieing at stock speeds. there are posts scattered all over the web, some here,some in xsforums.

I have seen the same reviews on the Balli's but I still bought them. It is not your board it if runs. Mobo's generally don't "limp," they work or they are dead.

no, the board is not posting, it reads the ram and stops.

when it DID work, it would post at 1.8v so I could get into the bios. but not now.

there is no way to get to the bios, it hangs up before it gets that far.

Ive run it bare min, 1 ram stick, no drives, no soundcard, just video mobo, cpu. no difference. its reading the cpu incorrectly also, showing it as a single core rather than the quad(375x9, 1 core is what it says exactly, normally it would say 4 cores)

no, the board is not posting, it reads the ram and stops.

when it DID work, it would post at 1.8v so I could get into the bios. but not now.

there is no way to get to the bios, it hangs up before it gets that far.

Ive run it bare min, 1 ram stick, no drives, no soundcard, just video mobo, cpu. no difference. its reading the cpu incorrectly also, showing it as a single core rather than the quad(375x9, 1 core is what it says exactly, normally it would say 4 cores)

its going to show just one core of its hanging up. my 2 systems did the same thing with the 6400-c4's. the number of cores doesnt update on either rigs till after the ram count for some reason...

I had a similar problem with my IP35 Pro. However, instead of 2 cores, my x6800 came up as 3 cores. lol. I thought it was hysterical and tried to get a pic of it, but no luck.

Anyways, this problem happened to me when the timing on my Gskillz ram was "too tight" ie (g.skill 800 hk's are 4.4.3.5 default - 4.4.4.9 @ 1000 would give me 3 cores :shrug:)

Unfortunately, my board hung and/or beeped like an EKG until I reset the CMOS from the back switch. My guess would be the timings are off/are not being set properly via SPD/bad RAM. Hope this helps! :beer:

I have 4 seperate 1gb sticks... I mean, the chances of all 4 dieing at the precise same time?(I tried the seperately)

but just to be sure, let me try them in this PC and see what happens...

nope, pc is running fine with that memory, and tried the known good memory from this one into the broken one, no change.

time to yank the mobo :(

When you clear the cmos make sure you take the battery out and leave it over night.

Ive really been torturing my board of late, and have had a number of issues that just moving the jumper didnt fix.
All self inflicted and most to do with the ram.

Ill give it a try... but Ive no reason to think the cmos isnt being reset, the cpu clock has definitely gone back to default, as has the splash screen.

Back