• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte z590 extreme - motherboard not turning on suddenly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
  • no new hardware was installed
  • no BIOS flashed

Observations/things I tried:
  • QFlash + "clean CMOS" buttons (located on the back IO panel) are blinking automatically after turning on the PSU. I tried searching the manual and internet for what this means but didn't find anything.
  • After turning on the PSU and pressing the case power button, nothing happens.
  • I unplugged the PSU cables (24-pin, EPS and etc) and replugged them.
  • I unplugged all the PSU cables again but this time, I only connected the 24-pin and EPS cables.
  • PSU turns on by itself by shorting the PS-ON pin to ground method. I've checked the voltages using a meter and they are correct.
The setup is using water-cooling so swapping/moving parts is not that easy without dismantling.

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
So the rig was running normally up to what point? Did you do anything to the rig out of the ordinary? Moved it? Flash/updated the bios?

You're not giving us much info aside from "doesn't turn on"

So the rig was running normally up to what point? Did you do anything to the rig out of the ordinary? Moved it? Flash/updated the bios?

You're not giving us much info aside from "doesn't turn on"
edited

QFlash + "clean CMOS" buttons (located on the back IO panel) are blinking automatically after turning on the PSU. I tried searching the manual and internet for what this means but didn't find anything.

Page 79. It seems the motherboard is trying to update the BIOS. Maybe download the BIOS and put it on a flash drive in the red USB & see what happens.

5-1-3 Using Q-Flash Plus
A. Before You Begin
1. From GIGABYTE's website, download the latest compressed BIOS update file that matches your motherboard model.
2. Uncompress the downloaded BIOS file, save it to your USB flash drive, and rename it to GIGABYTE.bin. Note: The USB flash drive must use the FAT32/16 file system and it must be a USB 2.0 flash drive.
3. Connect the power cables to the 12V power connector (connect either one if there are two) and main power connector.
4. Please turn on the power supply before connecting the USB flash drive to the Q-Flash Plus port on the back panel.

B. Using Q-Flash Plus
Press the Q-Flash Plus button and the system will automatically search and match the BIOS file in the USB flash drive on the Q-Flash Plus port. The QFLED and the Q-Flash Plus button on the rear panel will flash during the BIOS matching and flashing process. Wait for 6-8 minutes and the LEDs will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.
• If you choose to update the BIOS manually, first make sure that your system is off (S5 shutdown state).
• If your motherboard has a BIOS switch and a SB switch, reset them to their default settings. (Default setting for the BIOS switch: Boot from the main BIOS; default setting for the SB switch: Dual BIOS)
• On motherboards with DualBIOS™, the DualBIOS™ feature will continue to update the backup BIOS after the main BIOS has been flashed and the system restarts. After completion, the system will reboot again and boot from the main BIOS.

Is anything showing up on the Debug LED Codes (located near the CPU fan header)? Four pages of codes in chapter 6.

Page 79. It seems the motherboard is trying to update the BIOS. Maybe download the BIOS and put it on a flash drive in the red USB & see what happens.

Is anything showing up on the Debug LED Codes (located near the CPU fan header)? Four pages of codes in chapter 6.

I'll try your suggestion. Also the debug led has no lights.

Back