• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power led not turning off, weird issue. Thanks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

atticusedwardsv2

Last night, I encountered a puzzling issue with my rig that I've never seen before. After turning off my computer, the power LED remained on. Curiously, I tried the classic tech support solution of turning it back on and off again, but the LED persisted. Even after leaving it overnight, the LED was still illuminated in the morning.

I attempted to troubleshoot the problem by turning off the PSU, but to my surprise, the LED stayed on. This led me to believe that it's receiving power from a source other than the PSU directly. The LED only turned off after physically unplugging the PSU for about 30 seconds.

It's essential to note that there haven't been any recent hardware changes, and everything else seems to function correctly. However, I believe that nothing happens without reason, and sudden changes are often a cause for concern.

:welcome: This is indeed an odd issue. It is worth noting that the system still recieves power even when off. This allows for the system to "wake up" should you have wake on LAN (WOL) or a timer event like setting it to turn on daily at 8:30 AM for example. Waking with the press of a keyboard or mouse button too. Power is still sent to the MB (Mother Board).

That said, the power LED should not remain on when you power off. You found that if you unplugged the PSU that the light finally did go off. Did that fix the issue? If it did, I would consider it a one-off and not think about it again unless it keeps happening.

Back