• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Its time to start watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkirby

Well after several years of putting it off, im finally going to get into watercooling. I have about $500cad to spend ( canadian and american $ are almost identical atm, but id still rather order from canada so i dont get raped by customs again). Space wont be an issue, im either going with a MM cube, armor or stacker case. I need a loop that will cool my e6600 ( and a q6600 in the near future) and a 8800/2900 (maybe sli later? or maybe ill run them on a different loop)

Anyway, what im looking for is a good loop, so im going to need a pump, cpu and gpu block and a decent rad (3-4 120mms). To be perfectly honest, id rather spend the money on a good loop for just the CPU if it will be a better system than to cut corners and get cheaper parts to do my gfx aswell. If thats what it takes, than so be it. And after reading alot, i still dont know what tube diameter to go with. So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For $500 you can cool both sufficiently.

Here are some suggestions.

CPU Block:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/apogee_gt-93031GT.html

http://www.crazypc.com/products/apogee_gtx-93031GTX.html

The GTX will give you a tad more perfoemance.. I dont think its worth the extra amount though.

Radiator:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/9315BK.html

http://www.dangerden.com/store/product.php?productid=205&cat=15&page=1

Pump:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=172

Tubing:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=94

You need to decide which vid card you want as blocks are more or less for each card and are not universal.

Also I would suggest a t-line instead of a res. That personal preference of course.

Thanks for the input, so far i have the GTX added to my cart. What metals should i avoid mixing inside a loop? What kind of barbs should i use? chrome, brass, delrin?

Thanks for the input, so far i have the GTX added to my cart. What metals should i avoid mixing inside a loop? What kind of barbs should i use? chrome, brass, delrin?

You should avoid aluminum though you are getting gtx. Good additive should take care of mixed metals problem, maybe.

Dtek has Fuzion cpu block. I don't know how it stucks up against swiftech blocks
MCW60 is good gpu block.

www.jab-tech.com and sidewindercomputers.com might have better prices on the same items.

Last edited:
They were releasing a copper top version of the GTX were they not? Did that come out yet?

They were releasing a copper top version of the GTX were they not? Did that come out yet?

Don't know about that but they did release copper top for it for $40.

Last edited:
so far, ive gone with the GTX, mcw60, and mcp655. Now my next question is about rads. If i go with mcr320 over the thremochill pa 120.3, am going to run into any flow restriction issues?

so far, ive gone with the GTX, mcw60, and mcp655. Now my next question is about rads. If i go with mcr320 over the thremochill pa 120.3, am going to run into any flow restriction issues?
NO. The PA is a bit better but price/performance the MCR has it. Either is a great choice with the PA being the ultimate, price aside.

keep in mind with the mcw60, you will need to purchase additional items to cool and 8800 series card. I am not sure what a 2900 will need.

--pak

keep in mind with the mcw60, you will need to purchase additional items to cool and 8800 series card. I am not sure what a 2900 will need.

--pak

Yeah, i was debating the mcw60 + ramsinks, what else would i need? It was either that or an EK full cover block, but at the moment im still using a 8600 and im not sure if im going to go nvidia or ati later this year.

you need sinks for ram and those other 3 things. I don't remeber what they are ATM. You also need an adapter plate to mount it.

--pak

Yeah, i was debating the mcw60 + ramsinks, what else would i need? It was either that or an EK full cover block, but at the moment im still using a 8600 and im not sure if im going to go nvidia or ati later this year.

Don't waste money on full cover block for 8600

you need sinks for ram and those other 3 things. I don't remeber what they are ATM. You also need an adapter plate to mount it.

--pak

If you mean the adpter plate for 8800 series, then it's already included with the block.

Don't waste money on full cover block for 8600

If you mean the adpter plate for 8800 series, then it's already included with the block.

i wouldnt be getting it for the 8600, im upgrading my vid card some time this year

Well i decided to put off getting my new 1080p tv/monitor till after christmas for a nice price drop. So I went ahead and ordered the following:

Apogee GTX w/ copper top
Thermochill pa 120.3
mcw60
mcp665
10 feet of tygon
some DD barbs,
DD fillport
MM UFO

Strap those yate loons undervolted to that PA120.3 and you will have great cooling with silence. That is the one advantage to the PA is that is really excels with low airflow compared to all other rads. I am a silence nut and run mine at only 4 volts and still have all of the cooling that I need and then some.

I need your kind of budget to work with. I have to scrounge and scrap and upgrade one piece at a time.

Strap those yate loons undervolted to that PA120.3 and you will have great cooling with silence. That is the one advantage to the PA is that is really excels with low airflow compared to all other rads. I am a silence nut and run mine at only 4 volts and still have all of the cooling that I need and then some.

I need your kind of budget to work with. I have to scrounge and scrap and upgrade one piece at a time.

well i just returned 2 dell 2407-HCs because they were so bad with ghosting, and decided to wait a few months to get a 1080p tv to use as a monitor, when they drop in price after christmas. I didnt pay for this semester of school do to a scholarship i won for writing a paper. I bought my own car 2 years ago, so monthly, all i pay is my cell phone + car insurance and gas, and i work full time and full time school.

And yes, i plan to put the yates on the PA. Which means my IFX 14 and 2 Delta TFBs will be going to the classies, along with a scythe infinity, and an hr-05. TO be perfectly honest, i dont have my mobo in a case, because im afraid with the ifx and 2 of the tfbs being to heavy.

Back