• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gpu blk worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s002wjh

with better graphic card come out more heat overall, is it worth to have a waterblk to cool the GPU, but passive heatsink on its memory? or is it better to get a VGAcooler that cover both GPU & memory with heat sink, and a fan that blow the hot air out of pc box? note: the pc box don't have superb air flow.

Well, a block without cooling the memory is going to do a better job of cooling the core.

When I watercooled my 8800GTS, I could not overclock any farther, it just ran cooler.

water cool the core only! put ramsinks on the ram...definitely water cool the gpu!

GPU block and RAM sinks. Aim a fan at the card to get some airflow over the RAM sinks if you're overclocking the memory.

Despite what some would think, the ram chips don't put out much heat and are more than adequately cooled by sinks with a bit of airflow. It is the GPU that generates the heat. Full card blocks offer no improvement in performance or temps and are of course card specific whereas GPU blocks can often be ported from one card to another. Full blocks however do look better and may be a bit easier to install, which for some is enough of a sell. But are full cover blocks worth it? Only to those who pay the premium for them.

Full card blocks offer no improvement in performance or temps and are of course card specific whereas GPU blocks can often be ported from one card to another. Full blocks however do look better and may be a bit easier to install, which for some is enough of a sell. But are full cover blocks worth it? Only to those who pay the premium for them.
Yup, I agree, in some cases it is very difficult to have a fan blowing at the card or having sinks on everything. I ran into an issue with heatsinks literally falling off my 8800. I actually would have preferred a full cover block for my 8800, but all the EK blocks were sold out >.>

Yup, I agree, in some cases it is very difficult to have a fan blowing at the card or having sinks on everything. I ran into an issue with heatsinks literally falling off my 8800.
I originally had that issue on my 6800U. I found that the original pads that BFG had used on the ram chips left behind an oily residue that pure isopropyl would not remove. I ended up whipping out a pencil eraser and carefully "erasing" the residue. After that the ram sinks stuck fine. :cool:

I originally had that issue on my 6800U. I found that the original pads that BFG had used on the ram chips left behind an oily residue that pure isopropyl would not remove. I ended up whipping out a pencil eraser and carefully "erasing" the residue. After that the ram sinks stuck fine. :cool:
It was no issue with them having reidue on the chips, I have special chemicals that help with that ;)

It was because those sticky pads don't work well....

It was no issue with them having reidue on the chips, I have special chemicals that help with that ;)

It was because those sticky pads don't work well....

Swiftech ramsinks are NOTORIOUS for not sticking to a thing. I would recommend getting replacement tape for them; you can get a whole (1" think by 50M long!!!!) roll here for pretty cheap

Swiftech ramsinks are NOTORIOUS for not sticking to a thing. I would recommend getting replacement tape for them; you can get a whole (1" think by 50M long!!!!) roll here for pretty cheap
Those heatsinks/gpu block are long gone, along with the video card :beer:

I used the arctic silver adhesive for my sinks. A bit on the permanent side, but they stick like nobody's business. I also concur with my colleagues on the core only block- in addition to the cost and effectiveness arguments, I think the full cover blocks are just too dang heavy.

I want special chemicals too - what are they? Spill your trade secrets...

;) = TWOD - Thideras Wink Of Death

(sorry, the newest seniors will get teased :D)

This is going to sound odd, and you will have to be cautious with it, but automotive brake cleaner works wonders for removing anything that may be on your chips....whether it be thermal paste, thermal pad residue, oils....you name it.

I usually spray a bit on a coffee filter and wipe any contaminates from the chip. Brake cleaner leaves no residue, btw, and evaporates nearly instantly.

Back