• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm not sure what to think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
OK. It's hot out. Like in some places it's 130F. That's hot. For those in more civilized nations or who use more civilized forms of measurement, that's almost 55C. That's hot. More than half way to boiling water my friends. Why do I bring this up? Well, because any of our brothers or sisters who live in these areas, they really can't fold. Electric is expensive. Air conditioning uses a lot of electric and folding adds to the heat that must be cooled as well as electric to run. Those who live in hot areas need to conserve resources for the good of their household and for their neighbors as all households compete for limited amounts of electric. News reports showing monthly electric bills of $1700 USD. That's a lot of money. Now I realize that some of you are in much better shape than these extremes and you still may have had to slow production. I get it. I'm doing it. I only have one of my folding rigs running for the summer. So stay cool, stay hydrated and save some $$$ for other things. Come fall and winter, we hope to see you back. Don't be shy about it either.

So we are still #8 in the world. EPFL is giving chase but they are set for 3 years. We have time if we ramp up in the cooler days ahead. We are giving chase to EVGA, NVIDIA and Hardware.no. All good teams. All going to make us earn any advancement we make. Now, it's worth noting that EPFL has dropped again. Not to zero but way below their normal production and well below our current production. Meaning, as the ppd averages out, and if they don't increase production, they will cease to be on our threats list. They've been at a reduced rate for about two weeks so far. The fact that they are still on our threats list is testament to how much they were producing before. They were really meting out the punishment so to speak.

Hardware.no has dropped. NVIDIA has dropped. EVGA, however, is increasing production. Good on them. Hardware.no is another enthusiast team like ourselves. When measuring ourselves to other teams, they look more like us. It's fun to race them in point standings. No corporate money or fleets of GPUs. Just guys who like computers and like to put them to use solving complex biological issues. That said: Hardware.no, we are coming for your spot!

HayesK_ALL is #34 in the world
WhitehawkEQ is #35
HayesK_GRC is already #74. That seems fast. Doesn't is? I mean, this is like his 3rd or 4th time in the top 100 of the world with different user names.
torin3 is #76
dfonda is #84
Holdolin is #94

The team's health isn't looking the greatest but, it's summer and it's hot. I think we would have been surprised if our numbers were much better. We are down to 36 active users. However, I think that our average ppd for the team is high at 8.44 million. Remember, we don't mind if this number fall if we are earning big points in total. More users with lower ppd lowers the team average but the team average means little in a case like that. So come and fold. If the average ppd lowers as a team, we'd actually be happy for it. Honest.

Top 16 on the team are all earning 1 million ppd or more.
Top 6 are earning 10 million ppd or more.
Top 5 are earning 20 million ppd or more.
Top 3 are earning 30 million ppd or more.
Top 1 is earning 141 million ppd plus. Not or more. Plus. Any guess who this is? No peeking.

I don't see any individual milestones on EOC's stats page so nothing to report there. If you just reached a milestone in between those on EOC, share it. You earned it. Share it so that we can be properly impressed.

Keep up the good fight y'all. It's tough this time of year and the heat is indeed bad. So do what you can and if that's nothing for now, prepare to came back in full force when you can.

Again, be well, be cool, be hydrated and don't drink and drive. Pull over first... .... Yeah ok. We'll let that ride.

Last edited:
Summer is hard on everything. Best to throttle down and bring back crunch power when temps and electric bills afford.

I stopped crunching when I went from 4c/kwh power in Wyoming to 25c/kwh when I moved to California and needed to run my AC 3-5 months of the year. Now peak power pricing is 45c/kwh. It's absurd. I have solar but I'm not going to dump 1-2kw of heat into my house when the AC pulls 4-5kw, treading water when it's 105F outside. And in winter when my solar is at minimum output, I still don't want to pay that much to crunch. Heating the house with gas is way cheaper.

Summer is hard on everything. Best to throttle down and bring back crunch power when temps and electric bills afford.

I stopped crunching when I went from 4c/kwh power in Wyoming to 25c/kwh when I moved to California and needed to run my AC 3-5 months of the year. Now peak power pricing is 45c/kwh. It's absurd. I have solar but I'm not going to dump 1-2kw of heat into my house when the AC pulls 4-5kw, treading water when it's 105F outside. And in winter when my solar is at minimum output, I still don't want to pay that much to crunch. Heating the house with gas is way cheaper.
Spoken like a true SETI user. ;) "Crunch" We "Fold" friend. :escape:

don256us,
Just noticed your Vicennial badge . . . Gratz!
You are officially an "old-timer".
Yeah. Since I joined the day I was born, I'm looking forward to going out bar hoping. Or is that hopping? The one that hop not hope. 😁

Back