• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

#7 and 3 Billion. Let's see what we're up to this week.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well looks like it caught up now... Since I turned off CPUs and only use GPUs now, maybe all three cards syncronized some WU's that fell just before and just after the 6-9AM period... now I only have a 1 WU difference between the two stats sites.

I know that there is some kerfuffle over point inflation. While there have been manufactured inflation to try to steer production onto certain hardware, E.G. Big Adv I think was the WU's designed for multi-core CPUs (back when dual core was still a novelty.) These WUs gave mad points to anyone willing to run multi 16 core CPUs. Guys had awesome 4-CPU x 16 core rigs that cost lots of money. The experiment didn't work in the end and GPUs took over that space.

But inflation overall had to happen. The WUs we got in the CPU only days would take a few days to complete. Todays machines would take a few minutes with current GPUs. While we could keep the points the same and just crank out hundreds of WUs a day, the WUs got more complex. So F@H implimented several straegies over the years to calculate equivalent scores. At any rate, I do find it fun to look at what we had to do back in the day but every day turns into a new day and that's just the way of the world. Points are points and I try to earn as many as I can based on my comfort level to produce those points.

I know that there is some kerfuffle over point inflation. While there have been manufactured inflation to try to steer production onto certain hardware, E.G. Big Adv I think was the WU's designed for multi-core CPUs (back when dual core was still a novelty.) These WUs gave mad points to anyone willing to run multi 16 core CPUs. Guys had awesome 4-CPU x 16 core rigs that cost lots of money. The experiment didn't work in the end and GPUs took over that space.

But inflation overall had to happen. The WUs we got in the CPU only days would take a few days to complete. Todays machines would take a few minutes with current GPUs. While we could keep the points the same and just crank out hundreds of WUs a day, the WUs got more complex. So F@H implimented several straegies over the years to calculate equivalent scores. At any rate, I do find it fun to look at what we had to do back in the day but every day turns into a new day and that's just the way of the world. Points are points and I try to earn as many as I can based on my comfort level to produce those points.
Amen to that. I remember folding for a short while on an amd athlon xp 1800+, saw how long it would take vs the points and my case at the time had 4 80mm case fans and I think the only remotely silent thing I had was that zalman all copper cpu cooler that looked like a damn turbine, after a few minutes of folding I was debating on whether I should ratchet strap my case to my desk or not. Much more rewarding and tolerable now if your folding in the same room that you spend most of your time lol.

Back