• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with mother board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nsgnsg

I need help picking a mother board...

I will not do sli, I will probly get the new quad cores coming out (not extream)

couple months back u knew i wanted the p5k with wifi, but now theirs so many knew things out that i dont know what i want...

I need it to run cool... suport 45nm prossesors.. do not need sli.. good overcloking... 1066 ram suppor while letting u oc to 1333 or more...

what board would do all that for me??? and do it the best (like run reallly cool and overclock alot, and with ease..

get the Abit IP35-pro if you need to spend less.

the asus P5E is contender vs the Abit X38 Quad GT but once the bugs in the bios are worked out the P5E will get smoked in ocing... the last Quad GT was a killer ocer and that was on P965. if you looking at x38 dollar per dollar the X38 Quad gt is the better board.

Just plugged in a new P5E, my Commando had died and 680i doesn't like my Q6600.

Just starting to OC it, I'm at 3Ghz in the process and running Prime95 for awhile. I've not noticed any problems thus far. I would say the bios are a little different than the Commando's but since the chipset is different I shouldn't be surprised. Only problem I had booting was to get it to recognize my RAID card but I think I took a wrong path in the bios setup. Going back to default settings worked through it quickly.

Oh, I did update to the latest bios set too. :beer:

EDIT: up to 3.2G

EDIT: up to 3.3G

EDIT: up to 3.55G

Last edited:
Don't know what pricerange you're looking for, but..

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 is a sweet board! It overclocks like a charm (to 1600 and over without a prob), runs cool, supports 1066 ram, yorkfield/wolfdale, and has alot of other stuf too.

Posting your budget will help us recommend something to you better.

But for right now I would say just get the IP35 Pro. Good solid board. You cant go wrong with it. :)

The criteria I often use is to get a board that others are having luck with in terms of OC. I don't go to the bleeding edge of OC but a good solid board is what I want. In the case of my Q6600 that means anywhere from 3.4G to 3.7G.

One tendency is to buy the biggest and badest (cost the most too). If you don't need the features, it is a waste. Often the layer just below the mostly costly works for me. But you need to decide. As BLOOP asked, what is your budget. And add to that question, what are you going to use the machine for?

The P35 boards suggested should serve you well but I would tend to buy one that isn't too new to the scene. I don't like being the bios beta tester for somebody. (Unless they want to pay me for it and I ain't cheap!)

Enjoy! :beer:

thnx.. my budget...

my budget,, 250 arround that..

but the lower the bettter....(obviously)....

I think i myte stick with 800 ram, cause at directcanada.com i could get 1 gig of crucial ram for 30 bucks,,, compared to the 115 for 2 gigs ballistix

since ilm planing on getting 4 gigs, the price diffrence is alot...
what do u guys think would be a better deal choice for the ram...
cause i could oc the 800 ram to 1066. and i could oc the 1066 to 1333, but i think 1333 is overkill, especially at those prices..

alright, i cheked some prices in my area and the IP35 Pro seems to have great features, for a great price....

anyone know if i would be able to oc 800 ram to 1066 if yes.

would i be able to get to 1333 to..
the ram is crucial (non balistix)..

to keep it cheap then look for these boards which are solid. Buy one you like the most imo since they oc the same.

Abit Ip35-E
Gigabyte P35-S3,P35-S3L,P35-DS3,P35-DS3L
Asus P5K-E,P5K

my order is that the lower end boards from asus have higher vdroop from idle to load then the other boards i listed. this will affect your oc so i would go abit or gigabyte first, then asus as a last resort. while you can do the penicel mod to the asus boards imo its not worth risking the warrenty on the board...

*Edit*
to answer your question about the IP35-pro, i has some gskill 2gig kit drr2-800,HZ's oc to ddr2-1118 so yea your gonna be fine if you get the Abit IP35-Pro and 1066 ram..

to keep it cheap then look for these boards which are solid. Buy one you like the most imo since they oc the same.

Abit Ip35-E
Gigabyte P35-S3,P35-S3L,P35-DS3,P35-DS3L
Asus P5K-E,P5K

my order is that the lower end boards from asus have higher vdroop from idle to load then the other boards i listed. this will affect your oc so i would go abit or gigabyte first, then asus as a last resort. while you can do the penicel mod to the asus boards imo its not worth risking the warrenty on the board...

*Edit*
to answer your question about the IP35-pro, i has some gskill 2gig kit drr2-800,HZ's oc to ddr2-1118 so yea your gonna be fine if you get the Abit IP35-Pro and 1066 ram..

thnx but i think im gonna go with the 800 ram.. i mean im getting 4 gigs and it saves me, 110$ 120 compared to 230

what ram do u guys think is more worth it...

heres the ram

http://www.directcanada.com/product...n=CT12864AA80E&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY

nvm its unvalebal.. i guess im getting 1066 ram.. anyway thnx for the help.. u guys helped me save money, andp ick a mother board..

Last edited:
Evilsizer, how's the Vdroop on those Abits you're running?

well with my E6400 it is .01v difference with seti running. in folding at home i see a .02v difference.

on the IP35-e with the E2140 it is the same story...

Back