• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project Invicta - Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luno papi

Registered
INTRODUCTION
Hey guys, so here I am with Project Invicta. After looking locally for someone to help with this custom build and custom loop water cooling I actually couldn't find anyone. And I wanted a local company not an interstate one that I couldn't check in and see stages and have as easy input. So me and my friend Soul have decided that we are going to undertake this build ourselves!

Originally I had plans for this build to be basically one huge expensive flex, after a bit of thought and consideration instead of just buying the most expensive parts I wanted to have a go at making something that is actually good bang for buck, performance and aesthetically really well done. As well as get into some modifications to make something a little more unique.

PC HARDWARE:
CPU - 3900x (thought about waiting for 4000 series but really there isn't much a gaming/streaming/editing rig cant do with a 3900x)
MOBO - Strix B550F (initially jumped straight to the strix x570 boards but after a look at the build requirements decided that the strix b550 board would cover everything needed allow for 4000 series upgradability and was about half the price of the x570f)
RAM - Trident Gskills Neo 3600 C16 2X16gb (originally i wanted 4x16 but again for the build reqirements 32gb of ram is more than enough if only for aesthetics reasons I may end up putting 2 more sticks in)
STORAGE - 2x WD Blue SN550 1tb M.2 NVME SSD & Seagate 2tb 7200rpm HDD (one SSD will be for os and games, the other for current video editing storage and the HDD for longer term storage)
GPU - Strix 3080 (even though its not out yet this is pretty much a given, i really wanted a 3090 again just for the flex but for overall and the price difference this will be a good fit for this build)
CASE - Thermaltake Core P3 (what's not to like about this open air case, it has that extra appeal I'm chasing and will help this build achieve its character)
PSU - Corsair RM850w 80+gold White (this was picked mainly for already coming with white psu cables. for $20 more than the black instead of having to buy cable extenders in white for much more. The white PSu will be hidden behind a custom made bracket.

Everything has been ordered (minus the GPU) with the mobo, hdd, ram and psu in stock already. somethings due next week and the latest arrivals 1st of october.

COOLING:
This build will have a full custom hard-lined water loop with all components being purchased from EKWB. What can you say its EK they have a great name and the produce a great looking product. At this stage because I haven't purchased this yet I will not fill it out. But will most likely be the Quantum Vector range with Nickle fittings.

PLANNED CASE MODS:
CASE - The case itself with be painted method unknown yet (powder coated/2 pack/pressure pack) to be a Nickle finish colour.
RADIATOR - I Plan to run a 360 rad mounted to the top of the case, for this will need to have custom brackets made to support the radiator. I plan to have these made with with Stainless Steel and have them painted to be a Nickle colour finish.
VARIOUS BRACKETS - Various brackets will be made out of stainless steel and again painted to be a Nickle colour finish, one planned bracket is to cover the PSU and the its cables as they enter the grommet to the back of the case.

GENERAL NOTES AND THOUGHTS:
CUSTOM LOOP - ATM an XE 360 rad from EK with Vadar fans might be enough to cool this thing without pushing some serious overclocking. But Depending on how it goes I am making allowances to add more radiators to support more cooling. The other thing is how well such a thick radiator will fit. As I get my hands on the case next week. I'll be able to get some really good idea of if it can fit and if not what will work and what extra radiators I may need to achieve a level of cooling I am happy with.
GENERAL THEME - Originally I was thinking of an all white build but I see plenty of these. After deciding on how amazing the EK Nickle fittings look I decided Nickle theme that is it. So it may work it may not, and it may need to be changed multiple times to make this thing look aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you have, hopefully by the end of the month latest early next month I will have some progress to show and tell!

Outstanding Luno. I can't wait to see the parts rolling in.

Are you planning on water cooling the CPU & GPU?

Outstanding Luno. I can't wait to see the parts rolling in.

Are you planning on water cooling the CPU & GPU?

Sure are, full custom loop, although I had no idea that ryzen said desktop 4000 series was going to be out as soon as it’s rumored to be now next month so I may see if I can return the 3900x and replace it with the 4000 equivalent! Hopefully shouldn’t be much of a drama it was purchased from amazon so they have a good return policy with a 30 day change of mind.

The water cooling is going to be tough as my current calculations a 360 ek xe radiator will just cover the 3900x and a 3080. So I may need to add more rads and it’s gonna change the whole design concept to do that!

12th September 2020

The CPU turned up on Friday, it was purchased before knowing just how soon ryzen 4000 was coming. With current expectations of October. I am sort of regretting this purchase so I did some digging trying to find what info was out there. All I could find was leaks from the 4950x supposedly and I’m not completely sold the 4000 series will be a big step up. I’ve got 30 days change of mind to send the 3900x back, so I’ll sit tight and wait till after the 8th of October which I hear I will find out what the 4000 series will be like and right on the limit of sending back the 3900x.

The core P3 case is due here this week coming which means we’ll get to start planning and fabricating some of the brackets so will actually have some modding and progress to show.

Looking at EK’s configurator it looks like they plan to have a block for the strix 3080 so hopefully will be able to have the water cooling done fairly quickly after the release of the GPU!

14th September 2020

CASE - It came today! Got to unbox measure and figure out how exactly we are gonna do some of these custom brackets! I have to say while it may be slightly annoying to others to have the case come basically as an ikea piece of furniture it works perfect for us because otherwise we would have to strip it all back anyway with painting the case. The front io pulled out really easy and have pieces all setup and ready to be painted when the time comes!

WATERCOOLING - After being able to measure up everything, we have figured out that the way the initial plan to run the water cooling will work. I have split up purchasing the water cooling into 2 parts. Mostly because we would like to get a start on piecing things together but have to wait for the blocks for the 3080. So have purchased the following from EK:

- EK-CoolStream XE 360 (Triple)
- EK-Vardar X3M 120ER D-RGB (500-2200rpm) - Black
- EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 240 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi

As well as some splitters and an atx 24 pin bridging plug. Won’t be long now till we actually have something to worthwhile to show this forum of the build!

24th September 2020

PREORDERED ROG STRIX 3080 - Not sure when this will turn up but at this stage this won’t matter too much. Excited to finally have this ticked off the list. And excited that I got this card instead of jumping at the tuf.

CPU - Sent the 3900x back to amazon. And will wait for the 4000/5000 (whatever they are calling it) equivalent.

EK PARTS ARRIVED - Couldn’t believe how quick these things got here. Ordered from EK’s site on Tuesday got here on the Monday so 6 days from half way around the world IMPRESSIVE! And they look amazing!

DESIGN CHANGES - after having the radiator and the reservoir and playing around with placement I have changed the design of this build. We are taking the PSU to the back of the case and currently have brackets being made to extend the reservoir to sit horizontally across where the psu would sit and move it forward to be flush with the GPU vertical bracket. The radiator will go in it’s original position designed with the case.

I've always liked the Strix products also. Hopefully the back order doesn't take too long. For the build I'm planning for my buddies GF we decided to hold out until the 3070's are available. She is still gaming at 1920x1080 so anything above a 1080/2060 Super/2070 will be overkill, but at the announced price it's a no brainer.

I've always liked the Strix products also. Hopefully the back order doesn't take too long. For the build I'm planning for my buddies GF we decided to hold out until the 3070's are available. She is still gaming at 1920x1080 so anything above a 1080/2060 Super/2070 will be overkill, but at the announced price it's a no brainer.

I’m one of those guys, I find a brand I like and I stick with it till it lets me down. Strix hasn’t let me down yet!

25th October 2020

GPU - Still no word from PLE which is who ended up going with. I was holding out for distributor I know but they were dragging their feet and PLE had them up for pre order. Still no word of when I will get this.

SECOND EK ORDER - have ordered the rest of the water cooling components including CPU and GPU block, rigid tubing, fittings, clear liquid, and also the leak tester. I’m very interested to try this leak tester for $50 I think it may be invaluable!

CHANGES - I found and ordered a silver and white STRIX B550-A mobo which is perfect for this build as far as I can tell it’s design and make is identical to my STRIX B550-F mobo but will suit the over all aesthetics of this build much better and save me having to paint parts of the current mobo.

ARGB CONTROLLER - I am well aware after doing some quick math that my poor little one ARGB header on my mobo probably won’t suffice the demand of all the RGB. So I am on the hunt for an ARGB controller that will work well and allow my mobo to control as well. One legendary member here who has been very helpful to my had a good suggestion. It’s a lot cheaper than I thought but if it works don’t complain, but I’m still tossing up my options.

MODDING - Painting has begun! :leet: but I am very pleased at how the case and also the radiator have turned out being painted a nickle/chrome colour to match with the water cooling components and fittings. Now with this new mobo even better as well.

Waiting for GPU’s and CPU’s I thought I’d have a go at trying to paint the case myself while I wait out of pure boredom and I’m actually very pleased with my results (also I couldn’t find my drop sheets so I was using puppy pee pads LOL

BEFORE

IMG_5126.jpg
IMG_5127.jpg

AFTER

IMG_5134.jpg
IMG_5136.jpg

The strix b550-A turned up today. Super glad I made this swap it looks like it be much more aesthetically pleasing with this build. Beside the strix b550-F for comparison.

IMG_5188.jpg

Are those heatsinks white or bare aluminum?

Good question! I already packed it away waiting for things to turn up but I think it’s a mix of both probably a paint but it’s not quiet white it’s like a silver/grey hard to tell in a photo but should suit the painted case nicely!!

Couldn’t help but put a few pieces together while waiting for CPU and GPU! Starting to show its form!

IMG_5216.jpg
IMG_5214.jpg

Man it’s been a long annoying wait for some of these next gen parts!! All I’m waiting on now is my DAMN STRIX 3080.

All brackets in the case have been made fitted, final modifications, paint and clear coat finish done and dusted very happy with how this came out! (The screws in the bracket for the lcd display are just there to hold it in place while being painted, when the reservoir is bolted on it connects the two brackets)

IMG_5439.jpg
IMG_5440.jpg
IMG_5441.jpg

What else bought a bunch of stuff, some really nice looking replacement cables from cable mod in carbon.

IMG_5384.jpg

An ARGB controller to connect everything to and works with aura sync

IMG_5385.jpg

After watching Jayztwocents video on his build in display I wanted one and that’s what the bracket is for in the case so grabbed a 5in display.

5900x turned up pretty quickly and ek sent my strix blocks and the last of the other water cooling components.

IMG_5430.jpg
IMG_5429.jpg
IMG_5427.jpg

That’s about all just waiting for my GPU and hopefully will be here in January!

Back