• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/4'' restricting flow/performance??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crazymilk

I have just installed the maximums extreme mobo http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-251-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=946

and my next step is to install my water loop but I notice that the NB water block that is pre installed on it has 1/4'' fixed barbs. There are adapters so you can use 1/2'' tubing which the rest of my loop will run on so my question is will the smaller barbs on the fusion pre installed NB block restrict the flow of my loop resulting in worse performance?

If so could I get rid of the pre installed fusion block and replace it with another Northbridge water block with 1/2 barbs or would that increase the heat to much on the southbridge that is currently connected via heatpipes??

i mean i could cut the current heatpipes to discount it and replace with a better NB water block

I wouldn't cut any heatpipes... they have fluid in them.. o_O

I can't see it being THAT bad... but i'd just get a MCW30.

Thats the NB i would want to install but i need to cut the heat pipes to get the exsiting one off

If you cut the heatpipes, how is your SB going to get any cooling? I think you would be better off just putting on the adapters and running 1/2" with the block that is on there. Not to mention that if you start cutting you can kiss your warranty goodbye. On a $300+ dollar MB, I would want to keep the warranty.

so using the 1/4 fixed barbs with the 1/2 adapters wont restrict the flow of the rest of the 1/2 loop or effect performance??

so using the 1/4 fixed barbs with the 1/2 adapters wont restrict the flow of the rest of the 1/2 loop or effect performance??

It is going to add restriction to the loop of course, but with a decent pump like a D5 or DDC, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. And I don't really see that you have another option really since from what I read the SB on that MB is rather unusual and probably needs the cooling.

ive heard that that block on the mb isnt very good

so if you really want another block get a mcw30 and put something like a hr-05 on the sb

Just changing the barbs on the NB block won't have much effect on flow restriction. The block is still a 1/4" block. Shun it like the plague. You have two choices ...easy or best.
If you wimp out and go for the "easy" you could use this (Swiftech "F" fitting) to avoid the restriction of 1/4" fitting/block in your loop.

Attachments

• Flow splitter.jpg
    Flow splitter.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 203
You're probably better off just going for a thermalright HR-05 and a small aluminum heatsink for the MCH.

I think I can ditch the fitted NB block no problem and replace it with the MCW30 but that just leaves me the problem of cooling the SB chip. The problem is that there are no mounting holes to fit any sory of fan/heatsink. As you will see from the picture of the board it has the large blue type of heatsink that is connected via heatpipes (which wont be there if i ditch the exsisiting NB block)

What about if i aim a small fan at the blue kinda heat sink? Would that be sufficient cooling for he SB.

i will only be running 1 Graphic card so i dont really no how much the SB has got to do and how important it is to keep it cool.

After looking at that motherboard I wouldn't touch it unless you're willing to rebuild all the cooling on it.
I'd use the provided water block on the north bridge and get a better pump (if needed) for the added restriction.

What pump do you have now ...???

That pump will push through anything - trust me, I've got three of them! One pair I use on my main rig as a kind of WC RAID1 (safety net :) I also run RAID1 HDDs!). The other I've used for several WC experiments and plan to install it in another computer soon.

Check out the WC loop in my sig so you can see how much stuff MCP655#1 is pushing against when I run it solo @ P3 (and don't forget about MCP655#2 - it's still in the loop but not running!). You can also glance at this post for data on various P-settings (pump speeds) and how they effected CPU temps:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5451423&postcount=19

At P3 both pumps are almost silent and they're external as well. I run ~P3.2 now as it seems the most efficient but they're still very quiet, only my daughter can hear them. Inside a case you probably couldn't hear them at that setting if mounted properly ...

Last edited:
Back