• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking isn't happening

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

First off, this isn't my computer (I know this won't overclock, the mobo anyway).

It's a friends. He has a Q6600, Asus P5N-E SLI, 2GB Corsair Ram DDR2 800, 7800GS, 550W Huntkey PSU. All the voltages, temps etc look fine, in fact, great, right where I expect them to be. I went in to the bios, hoping to show him how to overclock. Now he has the G0 Q6600, pretty much exactly like mine, which I know goes to 3GHz without a sweat. So I set the voltage to what mine was, unlink the FSB and the ram, and ram up the FSB to 333MHz. All looks fine. Reboot, bam, nothing. Cue screaming from friend... Ok, bios reset, flick through the bios setting the standard stuff, set the overclock again, bump the voltages up a touch. Let's try again, nothing, again. Ok, reset, bump the voltages up a bit more. Nothing again. Then I climbed up from 2.4GHz, to 2.6GHz, with plenty of spare core voltage to make sure. Still nothing. This computer refuses to overclock. It has completely confused me, because at least something should have been achievable. Even my wimpy little cheap mobo could hit 3GHz straight out, so why won't his much better mobo?

well p31 is a different animal then the NV600's. my question is what bios is on the board currently?

if that is the newest one, roll back one or 2... i recall some minor ocing issues with this board and newer bios's. there is no reason that board cant clock that cpu up to at least 333mhz fsb.

If its the P5N32-E SLI, it's the same mobo I have. The latest BIOS is 1205, I recommend getting either that or the 1203 BIOS. The older BIOS have issues with overclocking quads from what I've heard.

I myself am having an issue OC'ing past 2.8GHz on this board as well. If I try setting the FSB to anything above 1310, the computer hangs immediately upon turning it on and I have to reset the BIOS. I have tried setting the voltage to 1.3, but no luck. I'm too scared to up it past that right now due to my crappy cooling.

Ive had trouble with getting my basically exact same setup (same board, same cpu, same size of PSU) to go past 1200 QDR (300 FSB). It is becoming more and more clear that the P5N-E and Q6600 dont play nice when OCing...

Back