• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good/Bad things to Say About EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kawzman

While discussing which quad core proc to pick for my new rig, it has been said there are issues with 790i as pointed out to me at http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=4. I was wondering if anyone out there having experience with the mobo has good/bad things to say about it? I have narrowed my choice of proc to either q6600 or q9450. Will be overclocking and running sli.

Here's what I've decided on so far for my rig:
- EVGA nForce 790i Ultra?
- evga e-geforce 8800gt ssc (might get 2 for sli)
- 2 wd 150gb raptors in raid (for os and programs)
- seagate 1tb barracuda 7200.11 (for storage)

Cheers,

Kawzman

Do you need SLI? If you dont need SLI dont bother with an SLI board. Better with an Intel chipset. If you need SLI its basically between this and 780i the only real difference being the DDR3 which is more expensive. You could also wait for the EVGA 780i FTW.

It's a great board, I'm running a test system on it right now, stands up to overclocking like a champ. The BIOS settings aren't quite as detailed as the ASUS Striker II Extreme, but unlike the Striker II, the EVGA board has not given me any issues. (other than data corruption while overclocking, which supposedly has been fixed in the latest BIOS update)

The mobo has worked great for me :beer:

The only beef I have is the MSP heatsink layout that surrounds the CPU. It will definitely restrict the amount of heatsinks you can use for you proc.

And if you will be using a 64 bit OS you will run into problems wih your eSATA not functioning due to JMicron's licensing issues on the drivers.

Other then that the board is a beast and overclocking is made easy for ya.

This board is freakin' sweet! Overclocks like you wouldn't believe. Most of the kinks of the new tech have been worked out, make sure if you get it to update the BIOS to P05 right away. P03 and under have their issues.

How's the EVGA NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra onboard audio? Specs from evga tout 7.1 channel hd audio but does it really sound good? I'm getting the logitech z5500 5.1 speakers and i was thinking about getting a sound card...the creative labs x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty pro series. Question is, does the $140 for the sound card make a difference or is the onboard audio really good?

Ummm .. The on-board sound is actually pretty good .. I've got the speaker set up just below yours (well all that's different is wireless speakers I think) and it sounds nice .. But then I love music, there's never a time when something isn't coming out my speakers so I splashed out on a X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound card ..

Good: works out of the box, stable, I can overclock it, real solid motherboard with excellent bios possibilites.
Bad: chipset fan is loud. I replaced it with a CPU fan which is much quieter. Second, you have to update the bios first thing to PO5 or your computer will crash if overclocking. If you are in to watercooling I think the Striker II comes with the chipset already configured for water cooling.

Back