• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a 780i / 790i?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boomer0909

Seems like I just built my rig but seem to be getting bogged down in my OC adventures my 680i seemed like a steal at $90 back in Feb. but now it seems like the 800mhz ddr2 limitations are really taking its toll 2.8 seems to be about all i can muster out of this thing safely is it time to get a new mobo and thus get bigger and badder ram?

edit voltages are stock vcore = 1.125 i believe or something very close to that

my general question is should I just shelve the 680i or keep banging my head against the wall in my basement.

While a few have success with a quad on the 680i, the majority don't and max out around 3-3.2G. If you afford it, bite the bullet and go 790i and new memory. Otherwise 780i.

Another option is to give up the Nvidia chipset and SLI and move on to a Intel setup (P35, P45 or X48). An upgrade to a single old 8800GTX will out perform your current SLI setup and there are a number of X2 video card that also could be used if you want to stay SLI in the Intel setup.

By the way, blue text in your sig against a black background the forums uses make the text impossible for me to see. :beer:

after many trials and even more errors i got it to 2.9 (322.22 * 9.0) w/ temps b/w 50 and 53 vcore very high (at least i thought) @ 1.33 but comp froze after 6hrs of prime 95 no errors just down right froze not sure if its a voltage issue or a bios setting flub going to look at it more later tonight when i get home

thanks for your help w/ respect to the board im thinking that i might have to sit at 2.8 or so until i can talk myself into getting a new mobo...

let me ask you this though is it going to be a tough thing to throw a new mobo in there or is it simply a swap?

one bright side is that having the 680 around will lend itself nicely to another smaller build to play with.

and ill change the sig for you to :)

and ill change the sig for you to :)

My eyes say Thank You!

Sounds like you're probably at or near the most you'll get out of your setup. Time to decide your strategy, i.e. set tight or move on. Intel's Nehalem will be out before long and that will be pretty much a rebuild and won't be cheap. While you might not want to pay top-dollar for a Nehalem, the current CPUs and motherboards will probably drop some in price at that time too. Decisions, decisions, decisions, .....

How easy is it to change motherboards? I would say that depends on how you're using your hard drives, SATA RAID? Going to another Nvidia chipset you've probably got a reasonable chance to plug and go. However whatever you do, make sure you're backed up. Plus a system rebuild never hurts.

Another board to add to your list is 750i FTW, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026. I've never used but heard some good things, do a search here to see how others feel.

simple sata set-up : HITACHI 750GB SERIAL ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

i dont know that i do enough technically speaking to warrant another $1600+ or so build i game and i run a little business where i make music for cheerleading teams and crap like that but i found this site on google some how and you guys sucked me in bad and now i want to try and run with the big boys

Surely someone told you that OCing is as addicting as any other BAD vice you might start!!!! :eek: Better turn back now! The dollars you save will be your own. And running with "the big boys" can cost you more than a few $s. :bang head

However my definition of the big boys is knowledge, not do I have the latest hardware. Maybe that is my definition because I'm too cheap to spend the dollars needed to buy the latest and greatest.

On the more serious side, I would suggest something like the 750i FTW. A good step forward to let you get your feet wetter. The strategy being to start with a reasonable step forward that allows you to work and gain experience, plus provide some reasonable but fairly cheap improvements. My guess is that you could plug in the new motherboard but as I said earlier --- backup everything. :beer:

Surely someone told you that OCing is as addicting as any other BAD vice you might start!!!! :eek: Better turn back now! The dollars you save will be your own. And running with "the big boys" can cost you more than a few $s. :bang headQUOTE]

no doubt thanks for all your help i think im going to stick w/ what i have for now and try to get every last drop out of it for now its more than adequete and if i toast a component or so tweaking it wont hurt nearly as bad as it would if i had a 3000 machine to learn on.

thanks again!!

Surely someone told you that OCing is as addicting as any other BAD vice you might start!!!! :eek: Better turn back now! The dollars you save will be your own. And running with "the big boys" can cost you more than a few $s. :bang head

No doubt about that, I think im going to stick with what I have for now and eek everything i can out of it and if i toast a stick or two of ram in the process so be it. I'd much rather learn on a less expensive rig than one that I'd cry about banging up.

Thanks for your help and I'm going to look at that board. And I'll let you know when i get to 3.2 on my 680i.

And OCing is far less expensive than my gf so its all good.

Back