• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you think it's time for a CPU upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SMOR3S

Recently I got my hands on a new kit of ram, a 8GB Samsung kit to be precise. It fixed a lot of the micro stutter in BF3, but I still get a bit due to my CPU. The micro stuttering happens quite often, and very frequently, I get about 80%-90% load usage on all cores nonstop. I have tried multiple ways to fix this issue, but none of the things I have tried seems to work. I have tried running the game in real-time, only letting BF3 use 2 cores, settings my CPU to stock clock, and even closing down all programs before entering a server.

I currently run the game @ 1920x1080, everything low, no AA/AF, and no AO. It's not that I can't run the game with more added onto it, it's just when I force more towards the game, the micro stuttering seems to get worse. I have found that running the game in windowed mode helps some what, but even in windowed I get micro stuttering still. I know it's not a graphics card issue, cause I have tested this in other games like Crysis, Crysis 2, and even some source engine games.

A good example to explain this is folding. When I fold SMP in Ubuntu through my virtual machine, I max out my CPU's usage, thus limiting me from doing anything other than folding, because if I try to operate something in Windows, like a web browser, it runs slow, and lags.

I hope this input, can help me further understand my issue. :p

Thanks,

- SMOR3S

The problem is 1GB of video ram on the 560ti.

But its interesting that the things you did to prevent this issue were actually counter-intuitive to fix it such as lower an overclock and using less cores.

Your computer should be enough for BF3. Try disabling Vsync to stop the micro-stuttering.

I do have Vsync disabled, I always disable Vsync, because I get no screen tearing. I did try the new 301.24 drivers with Adaptive Vsync, and that didn't help either. I was having issues with the 301.24 beat drivers also, so I went back to the 296.10 WHQL drivers.

The problem is 1GB of video ram on the 560ti.

But its interesting that the things you did to prevent this issue were actually counter-intuitive to fix it such as lower an overclock and using less cores.

I'll try a lower resolution, like 1280x720, and see if that takes some stress off the card and gives me a smoother gameplay feel. I run 1920x1080, and that's a lot of stress on the VRam + adding all those texture settings @__@, So I understand why you feel it's the VRam, but why am I getting 90% load?, shouldn't a Quad Core be enough to handle the game fine?

I dont 'feel' its the vram, i "know" its lack of vram at 1920x1080 and higher settings. We have a large thread started here already discussing the issue. :)

The game uses a lot of CPU is why. :)

Where are you from in Ohio? Im from SE suburb of Cleveland...

I dont 'feel' its the vram, i "know" its lack of vram at 1920x1080 and higher settings. We have a large thread started here already discussing the issue. :)

The game uses a lot of CPU is why. :)

Where are you from in Ohio? Im from SE suburb of Cleveland...

I currently live in Salem :p, I used to live in Canfield a while back, but my home town is Minerva, I lived there from age 0 to 16 :3. I have been surprised lately with the amount of gamers from Ohio I have met online ^_______^!

Back