• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade 5 year old comp - What's best bang bank-per-buck till Nehalem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

decilinear

Hi.

My existing spec:
Pentium 4 2.6c HT
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
2 x 1 Gig Corsair Value ram
4 x Seagate Barracuda (SATA with two on stripe RAID)
RME Fireface 800
Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW (22 inch widescreen)

As you can see my comp specs are proper old school.
I want to upgrade with a view to upgrading again in 2010, when the new architecture is established. I therefore don't want to spend £220 on a motherboard, but am looking to get best bang for buck with maybe the equipment listed below:

Intel E8400
Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
Corsair HX620
Corsair 2X1GB DDR3 1600MHZ 240PIN DIMM UNBUFFERED (mfr#: TW3X2G1600C9DHX )
ADS Tech PYRO1394 PCI Express

What do you think to the ram choice? I want to overclock it a bit.
I use Steinberg Nuendo a lot and want to start playin Call of Duty 4.
What GFX card would you get?

Mucho cheers,
Jim

Last edited:
Bang/buck wise, DDR3 is horrible, get the P5Q Deluxe version and some DDR2 instead ;)

I would suggest either the 8800GT or 8800GTS 512 (G92 cores).

BTW: :welcome: to the forums!!

EDIT: Note sure what "ADS Tech PYRO1394 PCI Express" is. If it is a 1394 card, the board has an onboard 1394 controller.

Yep that's the ones I was thinking of. Probably the best bang for buck right now

Bang/buck wise, DDR3 is horrible, get the P5Q Deluxe version and some DDR2 instead ;)

I would suggest either the 8800GT or 8800GTS 512 (G92 cores).

BTW: :welcome: to the forums!!

EDIT: Note sure what "ADS Tech PYRO1394 PCI Express" is. If it is a 1394 card, the board has an onboard 1394 controller.

Oakie dokes:) and a big /wave to y'all!!
DDR2 then with the P5Q Deluxe.
What do I sacrifice? If it means spending another £100, then that's ok. But if the bang really aint worth it, then...

I've got to get the ADS Tech PYRO1394 PCI Express because Asus, very, very annoyingly has replaced the Texas Instruments firewire chip with an Agere one.
As an RME techie states:
"there is a new FW 800 chip on the market from Agere, which seems to be incompatible (not only) to RMEs FireWire audio, and requires workarounds for successful operation."
So it's gotta be TI all the way for me.

Will the 8800GTS 512 be fine on my Samsung? Please bear with with because I only know old-tech at the mo...

Cheers :santa:

Well, I've spent my money and the gear is being delivered on Monday :)
I bought:
Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 (wanted 2 x 16 crossfire)
Intel Q9450
Corsair HX620
Antec p182
Gigabyte HD4850 (werd :))
Gskill 4gb (2x 2gb) HZ PC3-12800 7-7-7-18 DDR3 (already received, but i got a question. see other post)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM
2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200RPM S300 32MB Seagate Barracuda (for raid stripe)

This is going to be used with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, COD4 and multitrack recording, editing and playback with Nuendo, Adobe Audition, amongst many other things. Will probs get another 4850 when price drops.
I know this isn't bang for buck :bang head. I decided to splash out a bit more than first intended! This may have had something to do with the bottle of wine that I consumed whilst building and paying for my purchases! :p

Just thought I'd let ya know.
What can I say.. I'm a ***** to the tech! :beer:

p.s. I already have 3 SATA-150 500 Gig Seagate barracudas that I use for storage of songs, samples, images, etc.

Last edited:
Back