• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bout to order my new computer build! Need Feeback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Breakin Newz

No more opinions needed! Ordered and everything put together! Here is a picture!

008.jpg

Thanks all for the advice!

System build info!

ASUS P5Q Deluxe
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W PowerSupply
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 600GB
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Antec Nine Hundred Computer Case
XIGMATEK 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler with Retention Bracket

Last edited:
looks great to me but if your crossfiring you might look in to x38 and x48 boards with better crossfiring boards
Rich

Hmm yea I was looking for some x38 or x48 boards but I can not seem to find any with good reviews.. Is there any you would recommend?

Concerning the DDR3 versus DDR2, I would say it depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If I were going to keep it a few years then I would go the DDR2 since with the new Nehalem, motherboards and DDR3 memory will continue to evolve. A shorter time may make the DDR3 a better option since you might reuse the memory (still gota buy another stick for 3 channel). I tend to think about the reuse of parts later in time as the motivation for my thinking. Several ways to work this angle. Regarding performance, I don't think you see much performance difference today between the two approaches.

I would tend to stay with the P5Q-deluxe, realizing the Rampage is an awesome board.

If you're thinking about Crossfire later, the Rampage will be more capable with the 2 X16 PCIE2 slots. And you might think of more watts from your PSU.

Sounds like a great build whatever you settle on. :beer:

Concerning the DDR3 versus DDR2, I would say it depends on how long you plan on keeping it. If I were going to keep it a few years then I would go the DDR2 since with the new Nehalem, motherboards and DDR3 memory will continue to evolve. A shorter time may make the DDR3 a better option since you might reuse the memory (still gota buy another stick for 3 channel). I tend to think about the reuse of parts later in time as the motivation for my thinking. Several ways to work this angle. Regarding performance, I don't think you see much performance difference today between the two approaches.

I would tend to stay with the P5Q-deluxe, realizing the Rampage is an awesome board.

If you're thinking about Crossfire later, the Rampage will be more capable with the 2 X16 PCIE2 slots. And you might think of more watts from your PSU.

Sounds like a great build whatever you settle on. :beer:

Thanks for the advise man I really appreciate it! Here is my new up to date DDR2 build, im thinking just going DDR2....

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=12783667

Is the biostar t-power crossfire capable?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118

It says it has 2 16x pci-express slots?

I've heard good words about the Biostar (for example) but have no experience with one myself. There are a few threads around here about the Biostar T-power.

Realize that as meionm noted, you can have different levels of CF capability, e.g. 2X16 or 2X8 plus others. It all comes down to what you want out of your machine. I'm not into heavy gaming nor video work so I don't have CF nor do I plan on it. Others do, nothing wrong with either feeling. :beer:

I've heard good words about the Biostar (for example) but have no experience with one myself. There are a few threads around here about the Biostar T-power.

Realize that as meionm noted, you can have different levels of CF capability, e.g. 2X16 or 2X8 plus others. It all comes down to what you want out of your machine. I'm not into heavy gaming nor video work so I don't have CF nor do I plan on it. Others do, nothing wrong with either feeling. :beer:

Yea hmmmmmm damn its hard picking a motherboard!!!

Anyone know of any GOOD motherboards that have 2x16 pci express slots?

I know the rampage formula does but if I can save some money on a different board with the same specs that would be great!

You can use Newegg's power search to get a potential list. If I've done it right, here is a potential list. If you get interested in one of the boards, I would check and make sure they really use 2X16 and don't downgrade them to 2X8 or something else when graphics cards are inserted into both slots. :beer:

EDIT: This list is limited to X38/X48 boards that Newegg carries.

Last edited:
I assume w2richwood is talking about something like this, link. However I'm not sure how well that'll work with the XIGMATEK. You'll need to take a look at what comes with the heat sink and how it attaches to the board. They work with the Thermalright heat sinks and the TRUE remains one of the best.

Last edited:
Back