• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone running more than one RAID set on the same motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IntelLoyalist

Disabled
Is there anyone here running, or does anyone KNOWof anyone running; more than one RAID set on the same motherboard?

I'm going to build a home theater/media server and I was looking at P45 Motherboards with the ICH10R Southbridge.

What I envision is something like this:

RAID Header #1: 64g Solid State in RAID1 for OS & Apps.
RAID Header #2: 64g Solid State in RAID1 for OS & Apps.

RAID Header #3: 1tb WD with 16m buffer in RAID5 for storage. (Movies, etc)
RAID Header #4: 1tb WD with 16m buffer in RAID5 for storage. (Movies, etc)
RAID Header #5: 1tb WD with 16m buffer in RAID5 for storage. (Movies, etc)
RAID Header #6: 1tb WD with 16m buffer in RAID5 for storage. (Movies, etc)

I was thinking ASUS P5Q Premium, so I called them. Guy said, sure... It'll do it. But, I didn't get the vibe that he was certain about that. In fact, I got the definite vibe that he was just saying it and figuring that it wasn't his problem if he was wrong.

Which is why I was asking if anyone knew for a FACT that you could do it.

ALSO...
If anyone sees a flaw in my plan OTHER than cost, please tell me.

Same goes for anyone who thinks there is a better/smarter way to do this. I definitely invite criticism. Uhhh... You know what I mean.

Intel ICH9R on DFI x38 T2R

3 x Seagate 7200.10 80G's in raid 0
2 x Seagate 320G 7200.10's in raid 0

With intel matrix raid you can do alot, heck you can have 2 hardrives and create 2 raid arrays on those 2 drives! alot of people do it, make half raid 0 the other half raid 1

Intel ICH9R on DFI x38 T2R

3 x Seagate 7200.10 80G's in raid 0
2 x Seagate 320G 7200.10's in raid 0

With intel matrix raid you can do alot, heck you can have 2 hardrives and create 2 raid arrays on those 2 drives! alot of people do it, make half raid 0 the other half raid 1

The thing I'm wondering is, can you run two DIFFERENT raids? RAID-X on one drive and RAID-Y on the other. Not a matrix setup either... Each physical HDD has only one logical drive on it.

You mean like running one set in RAID1 and another set in RAID5? Yeah, I'm 99% that's doable.

Don't have much experience w/ RAID in Windows but software raid on Linux has no problem with setups like this. I think you'll be fine as any such limitations would be put in place by the software.

You mean like running one set in RAID1 and another set in RAID5?

Precisely.

I want to buy a board with the ICH10R Southbridge and run double RAID setup on that. Doing it with an ONBOARDRAID controller versus PCI or aftermarket software is very attractive to me.

I understand that the RAID5 array would be slower in the ICH10R controller than in a separate card; but I'm looking for safety there, not speed.

Also, remember that the ASUS P5Q Premium has 4 additional Sata headers (Silicon Image Sil5723) which supports Raid0 (Asus calls this "Super Speed") and Raid1 (Asus calls this "EZ Backup"). So either way you're good :)
Source

The Sil5723 controller is set up via bios, and from what I have understood you won't need any driver for installing M$ OS on this controller. Not sure how this is done, probably uses some generic built-in driver.
Source source #2

Back