• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Acer implicated me in a crime...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

against Microsoft.

I sent in my Acer Aspire one the other day since the fan was starting to go on it. Its the linux version with 1.5gb of ram and 160 gig hdd. Acer support is usually quick as hell for me and I've always loved dealing with them. This time was no different, it was gone for 2 days and I got my Aspire One back today. However...

The note included with it mentions what they did. Here is what it says:
Repair comments: replaced thermal module, updated bios, reloaded software, unit was tested fully

Now I sent it in with Ubuntu 9.04 beta on it and Windows 7 Beta. I wasn't thrilled when I saw they formated it but I can't say I was sad to see the data go, its not a big deal. I carried on and booted her up, fully expecting linux to be on there when, to my suprise... Windows XP came up. Acer gave me a copy of XP that I didn't pay for! Silly Acer :) Thats gona get you sued.

Had the same thing with Toshiba, sent Vista on an XP laptop >.>

Hopefully you formatted like I did.

Had the same thing with Toshiba, sent Vista on an XP laptop >.>

Hopefully you formatted like I did.

I can't even format it yet since I have to wait for windows 7 RC to come out. I don't have a method of formatting this drive :)

I guess the stupid thing is is that Canada was just put on a piracy blacklist from the US and this might be a large part of it! Surely they should do more checking for this stuff.

I can't even format it yet since I have to wait for windows 7 RC to come out. I don't have a method of formatting this drive :)

I guess the stupid thing is is that Canada was just put on a piracy blacklist from the US and this might be a large part of it! Surely they should do more checking for this stuff.

Seems like reinstalling Linux would be relatively trivial, especially if they gave you restore disks when you bought the unit.

also, who's to say that they didn't simply give you a copy of XP? They may have neglected to give you the reg sticker on the bottom but seems legit to me.

Don't use it! GM made a click that was bad! Your going to get yourself banned from windows!

Seems like reinstalling Linux would be relatively trivial, especially if they gave you restore disks when you bought the unit.

also, who's to say that they didn't simply give you a copy of XP? They may have neglected to give you the reg sticker on the bottom but seems legit to me.
Its not as easy as it seems. A disc was included yes, but it has no DVD drive :). And its not legit since there IS no sticker on it. MS licenses OEMs by computer, without a sticker there is no legit key.
-even if something about the XP install was illegal, it's their crime, not yours.
I agree I thought it was funny is all
Testify against them for some big $$$.
Good idea, but they might have my killed!
Don't use it! GM made a click that was bad! Your going to get yourself banned from windows!
I was going to use it to 1-hit bill a few times and then ask a GM to take it away. its all good man.

Back