• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install 64 bit Windows 10 with a Xeon E5450 CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if your not overclocked and your cpu voltage is 1.4+ for stock that could be the problem. normal range for harpertown is .85 to 1.35v, only overclocked is when it should be higher. now the older cpu's from "core 2" era had voltage as readable, could temp would display that voltage. sometimes though it does display actual voltage and i do believe it based on motherboard and certain cpus possibly not desktop core 2 parts.

i think what is confusing me and possibly others is you went from no overclocking to now overclocking it. if your running blend it uses both cpu and ram, but when making sure the cpu is stable. you need to follow my other post and make sure it will tax all cores with the largest size set to L2 size. as running blend will not fully test the cpu it will off load at some point to the IMC/ram. you really need to run prime95 longer then 2 hrs, as it will not go through all the cache size the cpu has in that short a time frame. once you narrow down its not the cpu then we need to check ram then. it the cpu foes fail in prime95 then small voltage steps up.

The voltage and everything else except usb keyboard and mouse functionality was on optimized defaults on the previous bios file. Next time I run Prime95 I'll check the settings you mentioned. One thing I noticed is the motherboard Vcore setting and the maximum CPU vcore Open Hardware Monitor reads do not match. I've set CPU vcore to 1.45 in bios but Open Hardware Monitor reads a maximum CPU Vcore of 1.408. Shall I use a CPU Vcore setting in the bios that is no more than 1.45 or shall I use a CPU Vcore that's not read above 1.45 on a monitoring software ?

there is going to be a voltage drop, what you set in bios will not always or will match what cpu monitoring software will. just baby steps, start at what its at now.

there is going to be a voltage drop, what you set in bios will not always or will match what cpu monitoring software will. just baby steps, start at what its at now.

I've read somewhere that disabling Virtualization, setting PCI Express frequency to 100, and increasing MCH Core voltage help with overclocking, so now I disabled Virtualization, set PCI Express frequency to 100, lowered Vcore to 1.375 and increased MCH core to 1.3 at the same 3.6GHz CPU clock speed.

I will run Prime95 but I don't know what to enter where for a custom test. I can change:
- Min FFT size
- Max FFT size
- Memory to use
- Time to run each FFT size
and I can check to "Run FFT s in-place"

Exactly what do you recommend me to do ?

i have never had VT affect overclocking, i just disabled it since i never used it. its been a bit but i dont recall needing to increase MCH. min size will be 8 and max size will be 12000, do run FFT in place, that will make sure its all in cpu, not going to ram (memory to use will be greyed out.). everyone is going to be different i did 24hr prime testing to make sure some did 8 or 4 depends on you. since i never baby sat the pc, i dont know how long it took to get to the max size set. i think with it having 12mb L2 its going to take a long time to get there from 8k min size.

i have never had VT affect overclocking, i just disabled it since i never used it. its been a bit but i dont recall needing to increase MCH. min size will be 8 and max size will be 12000, do run FFT in place, that will make sure its all in cpu, not going to ram (memory to use will be greyed out.). everyone is going to be different i did 24hr prime testing to make sure some did 8 or 4 depends on you. since i never baby sat the pc, i dont know how long it took to get to the max size set. i think with it having 12mb L2 its going to take a long time to get there from 8k min size.

I remember running this CPU at 3.6GHz overclock without playing with settings this much long ago but then it started not to work some day.

Which settings did you change or would you try changing for overclocking ?

there has been talk in the past about break down over time with voltages, its possible it just needs more voltage now. its also possible there is something else in the background the bios is doing that it needs more voltage. we have never stuck around with cpu's long enough to see if this was true about long term overclocking and voltages.

there has been talk in the past about break down over time with voltages, its possible it just needs more voltage now. its also possible there is something else in the background the bios is doing that it needs more voltage. we have never stuck around with cpu's long enough to see if this was true about long term overclocking and voltages.

I got a seemingly stable 3.6GHz speed with a VCore of 1.3625, PCI Express Frequency manually set to 100MHz, CPU Termination Voltage of 1.3, CPU Reference Voltage of 0.868, MCH Core Voltage of 1.2, with virtualization disabled and performance enhance set to standard that are different from optimized defaults of the motherboard.

Somehow it seems no matter what I do it won't run faster than 400MHzx9=3.6GHz and I guess it may be about my RAM being rated at 800 MHz since the CPU overclock settings also determine RAM speed and 3.6GHz of CPU speed gives a RAM speed of 800MHz.

I have also read a few threads about overclocking PCI Express along the way. Some FPS gains seem possible, especially on the low side. I tried to increase it to 108MHz and got a boot failure, now I'm on 104MHz but I have no idea how it can be stress tested.

What's your opinion about PCI Express overclocking ? Any ideas about how to stress test it ?

this kinda slipped my mind when i saw the forum we being updated. had some RL stuff happen, yes i posted on the other thread.

new forum setup is going to take getting use too. almost gave up on this thread since i couldnt remember the name. going to my profile i couldnt find the thread list, finally found the thread listing section.

Late to the party.

3.7GHz is about the fastest it can run that's stable. Runs Windows 11, no problem (after some bit of coaxing). This PC used to have a Q9550 from 12-13 years ago, which I changed to an E5450 at the onset of the pandemic... because I was bored. That said, this is not my daily driver and I'm just keeping it for the nostalgia and the OC "feel-good" potential.

Back