• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powerbook G4 Aluminum 12" problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

The wifey has a 12" Powerbook G4 that has recently been failing her. The ethernet jack has been causing her problems for a while. The internet signal will randomly cut out if the ethernet cable is not connected just right. Well... tonight she couldn't get any connection at all. Then, after about 15 minutes of frustration, the laptop shut down all together. It's a pretty old computer and it has been through a lot. The logic board has even been replaced once already. I know virtually nothing about Macs, so hopefully someone here can advise me. I'm thinking that her computer is overheating and that the network card/ethernet port is completely fried. I'm contemplating replacing the logic board myself, or at least taking it apart and cleaning it out so that it doesn't overheat. I'd take it to the Apple store, but we are living in Korea and I don't know if there are any authorized repair centers here. What do you think? Any suggestions?

if you want to just clean it out, check you tube for "remove hard drive" videos or something like that. I did that for my brothers PowerMac G4, got the thing open at least. there inst a whole lot to clean out really, just a fan if there is one.

Yea I took it apart and it was surprisingly clean in there. There really wasn't that much to clean. I did replace the thermal paste on the heatshink though, and that seems to have helped a bit.

Yea I took it apart and it was surprisingly clean in there. There really wasn't that much to clean. I did replace the thermal paste on the heatshink though, and that seems to have helped a bit.

Have you tried any Fan control apps for the G4 to keep it cooler?

Here's one:
http://www.andreafabrizi.it/?g4fancontrol:download

As for the Ethernet plug, I'd inspect it as much as you can to see that the pins are not bent, broken, or touching and causing a short circuit. When you looked ta the board did the plug or board have any color change / black spot as if it was exposed to heat?

If you can with it powered down, get a pin or toothpick or small hook to pull the pins out a bit more to get a better contact with the cable might help. Also checking the cable for breaks or sharp bends or get a another one to troubleshoot might be a good idea too.

You should be able to check online or over the phone for certified Apple service centers in Korea.

Only thing left to fix it would be to mail it out for service. My brother had to do that when he was Asia. It did cost a pretty penny, but he got it back ok.

After that you're looking at a replacement I think.

- Blackstar

Back