• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need 15"~ laptop, 3+ GB RAM, dont know which brands are no good...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehGoober

Any recommendations? Had an HP just... die. Something wrong with something distributing power on the mobo I'd assume. Screen didnt come on, HDD doesn't spin up. Only the blue LEDs come on on the keyboard when it gets powered up.

So I'm looking for a budget laptop to watch NetFlix stuff on, emails, web, small stuff like that. Best Buy had a Toshiba Satellite w/ T3400, 4GB RAM, 15.4" screen, 160GB HDD (more than enough space) for $430 last week, but it isnt on the website anymore. :( (And I read something about Toshiba's being no good, but was just glancing at a comment rather than researching it.)

Lenovo is having a sale and I do like that company, T4200, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 15.6", 250GB HDD. $515.

Any suggestions on other laptops, brands? Should I just grab the Lenovo? (I know that Lenovo has higher priced laptops and they arent as pretty, at least my X40 isn't. Build quality is solid though. Just not sure if I can get something even better for the price.)

Avoid Toshiba like the plague. They have absolutely horrid technical support and products.

Lenovo on the other is awesome. The quality of the product is extremely high, I own a Lenovo T61 and it has gone through some serious abuse and still looks brand new. They don't look pretty, but they are business class laptops designed to last.

Lenovo is good. Sager/Clevo, MSI, Dell (has good customer support).

However, I would have to give you a heads up to stay away from LG, no matter what. My biggest mistake was going with LG. I took such good care of that f-ing laptop and it died from a faulty gpu. And even worse, LG refuses to give me a warranty unless If I pay for shipping, labor and more which wasn't worth it. It lasted 1 year and a tiny bit, now I have a nice looking paperweight.

However, I would have to give you a heads up to stay away from LG, no matter what. My biggest mistake was going with LG. I took such good care of that f-ing laptop and it died from a faulty gpu. And even worse, LG refuses to give me a warranty unless If I pay for shipping, labor and more which wasn't worth it. It lasted 1 year and a tiny bit, now I have a nice looking paperweight.
Wow, that is exactly the issue with my Toshiba except it died after 2 weeks.

Wow, that is exactly the issue with my Toshiba except it died after 2 weeks.

I had extended warranty too. = (

However my new MSI Laptop has been a champ!. So much better quality you can tell right out of the box. The load temps on my MSI are only a tiny bit higher than the idle temps on my old LG.

Back