• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro Thinkpad T61p Build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
My very first laptop was a Lenovo t61, purchased at half price using my Uncles IBM account back in 2009. I added Intel turbo memory (at the time I actually thought it would make a difference, lol) and rounded out with a T9300 processor (2.5Ghz, 6Mb L2, 45nm). Over the years, many laptops have come and gone into my life, but I think the time has come to go back to my roots since this Lenovo T61 was my favorite. This time I am sparing no expense. First, I purchased a standard 14.1" Lenovo T61 laptop with integrated video on eBay to act as a "refresher" for me, refreshing my skills on disassembly and modded BIOS flashing, as well as getting the software and programs just right. The laptop showed up about a week ago, and since, I have ditched the old Intel T7100 that came with it (65nm, runs hot, slow) and replaced with my T9300 (saved in storage for many years), also ditched the mechanical hard drive for a solid state drive, and flashed the BIOS with a modded Middleton BIOS that allows you to run the later 45nm chips, such as the T9300, and allows you to run full SATA II speeds on the hard drive. I am using ThrottleStop to overclock and undervolt the CPU. This is a great little program which allows you to reach the full potential of your CPU, as most laptops don't have overclocking options in the BIOS. This program allows me to run the T9300 at 2.7Ghz, in Dual IDA mode, at a voltage of 1.1v. Dual IDA mode is an early "turbo" system that allows you to run a 13.5 multiplier, for a total speed of 2.7Ghz, roughly an 8 % overclock over the standard 2.5 clock speed. So far so good, runs cool at idle (108-110*F) and under load (150*F). I am also using TPFan Control to manage my fan speed. This is a handy utility that dovetails the ThrottleStop program nicely. I can set a custom speed or select from a number of conservative or aggressive fan profiles. I also have installed LetaSoft Sound Booster. This handy little program really boosts the speaker output without compromising quality. And it is really a must have for this old, underpowered sound system on the T61. Have all my drivers in place and all the programs the way I want it.

Now for the fun part, this was just the first 'test run' build. Last week, I purchased another laptop, this time a mint 15.4" Lenovo T61p, which has a much better video card and higher resolution screen. Paid $85. From here, I am going to run a solid-state drive and basically bring this laptop back to future, maximizing performance across the board. I decided to go with the Core 2 Extreme X9000 CPU, which runs stock at 2.8Ghz (roughly 1/2 the performance of a Q9550). This chip was $44 on eBay. The great thing about this CPU is that it has an unlocked multiplier. I can use ThrottleStop to overclock this beast. I am hoping to get 3.2-3.5Ghz at a conservative voltage in the 1.15-1.2v range. Undervolting the CPU using ThrottleStop should mitigate some of the extra heat this processor will produce, and along with the Fan control software I should have no problem managing the extra heat. Then I'ma bust out some ultra low latency 4GB ram with hella tight timings to top it off. So, the new laptop has discrete graphics, designating the T61 "P". This has the Nvidia FX 570M video card, with 256mb of onboard memory. This will really wake it up and allow me to run some 3D games and allow for better HD video when streaming. Laptop should be here any day and I will do my best to document the whole process. For now, take a look at some of the work performed on the test build. I will update this thread as I go along, documenting the process and build progress. Look forward to the day it arrives, I’m going to jump right into it!

Here are some project pics (to be updated soon!)
IMG_20180307_160307932.jpg
IMG_20180317_114936793.jpg
IMG_20180314_162935489.jpg
ThrottleStop configured for maximum potential running the T9300 processor!
ThrottleStop.PNG
More ThrottleStop Options: Dual IDA mode is key for this processor!
ThrottleStopOptions.PNG
TPFanControl Options screen:
TPFANcontrol.PNG
CPU-Z SPEC
CPUZ.PNG

Last edited:
huh I didn't know this was a thing. maybe I should stop junking these old C2D's

Keep your eyes open for the T7800, T9300, T9500 and X9000 Extreme CPUs. These processors are the cream of the crop for the 800Mhz FSB spec. But you wont make a killing. I paid $44 for my X9000, just to put this in to perspective.

Keep your eyes open for the T7800, T9300, T9500 and X9000 Extreme CPUs. These processors are the cream of the crop for the 800Mhz FSB spec. But you wont make a killing. I paid $44 for my X9000, just to put this in to perspective.

Indeed, but look out for the TDP. the x9000 is a 45w CPU if I recall. Most c2d mobile CPUs are 25-35w. A higher wattage CPU will output more heat and could drain the battery faster.

Indeed, but look out for the TDP. the x9000 is a 45w CPU if I recall. Most c2d mobile CPUs are 25-35w. A higher wattage CPU will output more heat and could drain the battery faster.
Ah yes, no laptop overclocking thread is complete without a solemn warning regarding TDP and heat. This is where ThrottleStop undervolting comes into play. For example, I am running the very similar T9300 CPU @ 2.7Ghz with a substantial undervolt @ 1.100 vcore. Under a stress test my system runs at 165*F max (assuming the X9000 will run 10-20* higher, and that is still well within the heat limits). So I have quite a bit of headroom to work with. I am also assuming that the X9000 scales in similar fashion (but we will just have to see in the real world -- its a gamble I have to take). My hope is that an extremely clean CPU cooler in combination with undervolting will provide the system with enough headroom to manage the extra heat. Final key here utilizing TPFanControl in conjunction with ThrottleStop. This handy little program allows me an extra level of manageability and essentially total control over the CPU fan speed. For example, I can get temps down to 104-106*F at idle and 140*F under full load with the fan running at the highest speed setting. TPFanControl also has temperature switch options and utilizing the SMART control settings the fan wont be blasting at 4000 rpm all the time, only as required, when the CPU load and temp ramps up. Just grab some popcorn, kick back and see what happens in the real world! I have thought this through. I think we will be okay :)

Dont forget the vrm limits too.
And the heat the cpu outputs can over heat other parts too.

Do you think the extra heat might melt the keyboard? lol, j/k I think we will be okay. If I play my cards right, I don't think I'll be anywhere close to burning up the VRM. I think its rated to nearly 130*C, and we are nowhere near that during torture tests. I really do appreciate your concern with the laptop heat deal, but I've done my homework on this one. And now is the time to start popping that popcorn -- because you just never know! Who knows, the rig might go up in a cloud of smoke and fire when I hit the power button. YOLO!

Here are some temp results with both cores at 100% utilization during a torture test (performed inside the house at 68*F). She's running nice and cool :)
Temps.PNG

Do you think the extra heat might melt the keyboard? lol, j/k I think we will be okay. If I play my cards right, I don't think I'll be anywhere close to burning up the VRM. I think its rated to nearly 130*C, and we are nowhere near that during torture tests. I really do appreciate your concern with the laptop heat deal, but I've done my homework on this one. And now is the time to start popping that popcorn -- because you just never know! Who knows, the rig might go up in a cloud of smoke and fire when I hit the power button. YOLO!

Here are some temp results with both cores at 100% utilization during a torture test (performed inside the house at 68*F). She's running nice and cool :)
View attachment 197824

Yolo no...:sly:
The vrm can only handle so much current. If I recall the t61's can only take 35w cpus. Its not going to melt the keyboard. But ithe parts around the cpu could run hotter and shorten the life span of the system. I worked on alot of t60 and t61s they aren't the best with handling overclocking a higher tdp cpus. Just thought Id let you know.

Also if you cut the censer wire on the cpu fan it will run full speed 24/7, but you get a warning when booting the system.

Yolo no...:sly:
The vrm can only handle so much current. If I recall the t61's can only take 35w cpus. Its not going to melt the keyboard. But ithe parts around the cpu could run hotter and shorten the life span of the system. I worked on alot of t60 and t61s they aren't the best with handling overclocking a higher tdp cpus. Just thought Id let you know.

Also if you cut the censer wire on the cpu fan it will run full speed 24/7, but you get a warning when booting the system.
Well you obvously picked a great username, because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. But have a great day, and thanks for your concern over my build. You fulfilled the prophecy here to a tee.

Rumor on the street is this guy melted a few keyboards before he got the X9000 to run correctly in his T61.

I remember about 3 years ago I got 5 of these laptops, all supposed to be broken and I made 2 perfectly good laptops from them. Both sold later as I didn't need them but it was still pretty nice to get them for free and fix at least 2. After this generation IBM/Lenovo laptops were much worse.

Well you obvously picked a great username, because you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. But have a great day, and thanks for your concern over my build. You fulfilled the prophecy here to a tee.

Rumor on the street is this guy melted a few keyboards before he got the X9000 to run correctly in his T61.

No you absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Put a 45w cpu in a system with a VRM and heatsink ratted at 35w. It will over load it and lowering the voltage will only make the system unstable in the long run. The t6x platform was built for 35w CPUs. The cooling and VRM is just not up to par for a x9000 or any other 45cpu, its why IBM/Lenovo never put a 45w cpu or a quad in the t61p or any t6x. I dealt with 100s of older thinkpads mostly the t60s and t61s most of the ones that had a quad or 45w CPU in it failed suddenly do to VRM failure.

This had been talked about on thinkpads.com quite abit and is a well known problem with the t61 and t60. Its like putting a FX-9590 on a 4+1 phase motherboard.

Also have you flashed it with xiaofei290 bios or plan to do the 1066mhz FSB mod?

No you absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Put a 45w cpu in a system with a VRM and heatsink ratted at 35w. It will over load it and lowering the voltage will only make the system unstable in the long run. The t6x platform was built for 35w CPUs. The cooling and VRM is just not up to par for a x9000 or any other 45cpu, its why IBM/Lenovo never put a 45w cpu or a quad in the t61p or any t6x. I dealt with 100s of older thinkpads mostly the t60s and t61s most of the ones that had a quad or 45w CPU in it failed suddenly do to VRM failure.

This had been talked about on thinkpads.com quite abit and is a well known problem with the t61 and t60. Its like putting a FX-9590 on a 4+1 phase motherboard.

Also have you flashed it with xiaofei290 bios or plan to do the 1066mhz FSB mod?

The T9300 is a 35W CPU...
https://ark.intel.com/products/33917/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T9300-6M-Cache-2_50-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

... with that in mind, there shouldn't be any worry, correct BillD?

RE: Flashing - Does he need to do that with a 800 FSB chip in the first place?

Bill, it seems like your opinion is predicated on the CPU he is using being 45W and 1066 FSB, which it is not. The OP mentioned a 44W x9000, but is using a T9300. :)

Also.......https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...wap-compatibilty-Merom-and-Penryn/ta-p/550533

The fastest Merom processor I know of is that a T61 will run is the T7800 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 4MB cache (note that this is slightly faster then my 2.5ghz Penryn, but my 6MB of cache more then makes up for the slight difference in speed.

The fastest Penryn processor I know of is that the T61 will run is the T9500 It runs at 2.6ghz and has 6MB cache.

There are faster processors, but I believe the T61 will not support one with a front size buss rate above 800mhz. *note, if anyone knows if this is possible please contact me and I'll edit this information.

EDIT: Be nice, gentlemen.......... :grouphug:

Last edited:
in the OP
. I decided to go with the Core 2 Extreme X9000 CPU, which runs stock at 2.8Ghz (roughly 1/2 the performance of a Q9550). This chip was $44 on eBay.
Hence the warning.

The xiaofei290 bios fixed and adds alot on new things to the t61, support for some newer CPUs and quads for one. It removes wifi card restrictions too so you can use any mini pcie card.

As for the 1066mhz mod. it allows for not only faster CPU's but also faster ram. If I recall the t61 is limited to ether 333mhz or 667mhz on the ram.
As for the fastest cpu you can put in one, I seen a post on thinkpads.com wit ha t61 with X9100. I recall the laptop failing for some reason. Quad and core2 extremes just don't play well with the t61.

here is a guide for it the bios and 1066mhz mod.
https://forum.thinkpads.com//viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110620&start=30#p728624

Last edited:
I saw that.... and look at his cpuz screenshot. It says T9300. It seems im confused. :)

Did the op get scammed or is that how it reads? Doesnt make sense.

As for the fastest cpu you can put in one, I seen a post on thinkpads.com wit ha t61 with X9100.
everything up to 9500 is 35w i believe.

The T9300 is a 35W CPU...
... with that in mind, there shouldn't be any worry, correct BillD?

RE: Flashing - Does he need to do that with a 800 FSB chip in the first place?
Bill, it seems like your opinion is predicated on the CPU he is using being 45W and 1066 FSB, which it is not. The OP mentioned a 44W x9000, but is using a T9300. :)

Also.......https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...wap-compatibilty-Merom-and-Penryn/ta-p/550533

EDIT: Be nice, gentlemen.......... :grouphug:

Bill: I am a huge fan of the T61 so I'm building this one to the max! It's gonna happen buddy, whether you like it or not!

Bill, EarthDog I would like you both to watch this video. This youtube video was posted in 2012, and confirmed with the owner that it is still operational and working to this day, so I think we can all agree if done correctly, you can achieve great reliability with this swap as well as a substantial overclock in addition to stable CPU temps. No matter what the naysayers say. And you know who you are. :screwy:

In large part the core 2 extreme X9000 project has been overlooked by many laptop overclocking enthusiasts due to the readily available and relatively cheap T9300 and T9500 processors. This is the route people would choose 99% of the time, primarily because the X9000 was so expensive, it was out of reach for most. Only in the last couple years has the price of these CPUs come down enough to make this project worthwhile. The T61 also has a special place in my heart. It was my first laptop and a treasure of sorts. That's why I'm choosing to bring it back by maximizing it's potential in every way possible. Not holding back on this one. We are going all out, and it's gonna be good! Bill is grasping at straws here as he tries to look like an expert on the X9000 swap when in reality he has never actually performed this particular CPU swap and I am about to prove to him that it can be done, and done correctly. So sit back, grab some popcorn and enjoy the ride!

EarthDog: That's right, no worries with the 35W T9300 CPU (although I did have to flash to Middleton 2.29 custom BIOS to disable the thermal sensing error). This custom bios update also allows for full SATA II speeds, and I am taking full advantage of that using a Solid State Drive. As mentioned in my initial post. And I just wanted to confirm to you, the X9000 has an 800Mhz FSB, so it is a direct swap in for the T61. In fact, you can even run a later Penryn CPUs in the older Merom boards without flashing the bios, you will just have a thermal temp sensor error triggered at startup.

EarthDog: My first post was a bit long winded but you should re-read it because it specifically lays out the plans I have for this "retro" build. I think you are missing the key; that this project involves two laptops, and the second laptop has not arrived yet, and that's when the actual fun will begin, that's when I will be working on the X9000 swap. I will do my best to document each step and take pictures as we head into uncharted territory.

Over the past year I have spoken to 3 people that have performed the X9000 swap in a T61. The X9000 processor is 100% compatible and has great overclock potential. I can assure you, I am not just "winging" it here, I've put in the time and done the research and that's why I'm very eager to get started. Chomping at the bit, if you will. The laptop can definitely handle this CPU without any cooling issues, if YOU set it up CORRECTLY. This involves undervolting the CPU with ThrottleStop and a more aggressive fan profile using TPFanControl. That's why I was a little harsh with Bill. Because he seems ignore the obvious control mechanisms I will be putting in place and seems to think the swap is essentially impossible, a ticking "time bomb" if you will, like he has some secret knowledge that nobody else has. Obviously he is not fooling anyone and it's just getting annoying with all the nay saying. I would prefer, Bill, if you don't have anything positive to say about my project, you just stay out of the thread and stop posting. Thank You. I've done the research and I'm moving forward with the project. End of discussion.

Bill seems to be ignoring the fact that once installed correctly and properly undervolted the TDP of the X9000 will be more like 34-38 watts. Bill seems to think the VRM is just going to explode on me. I can assure you, there are people who have run the X9000 for years on some Franken pad T61 builds with ZERO VRM and ZERO overheat problems. Bill seems to think that "lowering the voltage will only make the system unstable in the long run" and this is clearly dead wrong. I ran the T9300 in my old T61 in an undervolt and 7-8% overclock configuration for nearly 6 years with ZERO reliability problems. Trust me here guys, we are going to do this right and take our time. As I said, enjoy the ride! Haters gonna hate! :D

EDIT: This Thread is the evolution of my previous posting back in 2013, check that out if you want a little more history.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/730428-Lenovo-T61-Upgrade-Dual-IDA-and-Sata-II

Last edited:
I worked with 100s of t61s with quads and other 45w cpus. The 2 or 3 people you see online that had them running for years are ether lucky, dont use the laptop regularly or did other mods to the system to suport the CPUs.

I installed quads and other CPUs not officially supported by the t61 and t61p for a place I worked at. 80+ % of the ones with quads and x9000 came back a year or two latter with a failed vrm or other motherboard problems.

It will work, but if you push the laptop or use it regularly the vrm will fail. If you dont make a more aggressive fan profile or risk a unstable system by undervolting the cpu and parts around it will run hot as well.
There are other mods you can do to the board to better suport the quads and x9000, simply dropping the cpu in, modding the bios is not enough. Under volting will help, but unless of your running at 1v your at 35w. How stable is your cou at full speed at 1v?

I worked with 100s of t61s with quads and other 45w cpus. The 2 or 3 people you see online that had them running for years are ether lucky, dont use the laptop regularly or did other mods to the system to suport the CPUs.

I installed quads and other CPUs not officially supported by the t61 and t61p for a place I worked at. 80+ % of the ones with quads and x9000 came back a year or two latter with a failed vrm or other motherboard problems.

It will work, but if you push the laptop or use it regularly the vrm will fail. If you dont make a more aggressive fan profile or risk a unstable system by undervolting the cpu and parts around it will run hot as well.
There are other mods you can do to the board to better suport the quads and x9000, simply dropping the cpu in, modding the bios is not enough. Under volting will help, but unless of your running at 1v your at 35w. How stable is your cou at full speed at 1v?

Are you finished yet? Thank you for being the chief naysayer in this thread, Bill (there's always one). I know the risks and challenges associated with this project. Thats part of the reason I chose to do it. Now that you have finished raining on my parade I hope you stay out of this thread going forward unless you have something positive to add. You've said all you need to say. We now know about exploding VRMs, melting keyboards, and how incredibly experienced you are with 45w CPUs in T61s (LOL) - And Im really glad you said it will actually work, because for a minute there I was about to scrap the whole project.

Have a nice life in the land of pessimism or where-ever you hail from.

And guys, I almost forgot to mention, the new laptop arrives tomorrow, I'm going to jump right in! So expect an update with pictures by the end of the day! :clap:

It has arrived

Country music - check!
=====> Listen first: May we all - FG Line -
Laptop repair tools - check!
Charged Headlamp -check!
Clean workspace - check!

The T61P is in the house! :thup:
IMG_20180413_120346678.jpg

Whats all the hype about? It's all about this little "monster" :popcorn:
IMG_20180413_123040095.jpg

Initial unboxing complete. The laptop is mint. Like new!

Getting BIOS configured for upcoming modifications:
IMG_20180413_125203764.jpg
IMG_20180413_125817155.jpg

2:03PM BIOS UPDATE PROCEDURE:

The old T61 is running Windows 7 32 Bit. 32 bit OS is required if you want to flash the bios from within windows.
If you have a 64 bit OS, you must flash the BIOS using the included bootable ISO image.

1) Removed hard drive from old T61, swapped into the new T61p:

1.jpg
Win 7 32 bit hard drive going into the T61p rig:
2.jpg
Win 7 booting up
3.jpg
Logging into my account:
4.jpg
Connecting to Skynet to copy bios files over the network:
5.jpg
Updating BIOS - this always gets my hands a little sweaty and my heart racing :)
6.jpg
7.jpg
BIOS update completed successfully. We now have full SATA II speeds and full compatibility with the Penryn X9000! We are now running the Middleton custom T61p bios, 7LETC9WW (2.29)
11.jpg

Time to install the new X9000 CPU!

Last edited:
Back