• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loud psu fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjlax5

hey, i have an antec 300W psu, and it seems to have two fans. one of them plugs into the mobo and one is connected internaly. the fan that plugs into the mobo seems real loud and i was wondering if i could change it out for a quiter fan. the model # of the psu is PP-303XP.

anyone else out there have this psu and is the fan loud or is it just me

how would define "loud"? Is it extra ordinarily noisy compared to when it was new? there could be some dust or other buildup in the bearings of the fans... maybe some wd40 or nice cleaning will fix. :D

I wouldn't play around with the PSU at all, unless you want to get electricuted. Normally its the CPU fan which is loud, open the box and hear them again.
If it is the Power supply fan its probably from dust building up which is quite rare actually, you can either try cleaning it, or be risk free and get another cpu.

it has always been loud, yes im sure it is the psu casue it has 2 fans in it, one of them plugs into the motherboard so i can unplug it to and it gets a million times quiter

You might simply remove the offending fan from the PS and replace it with a quieter one. I'd wait until the warranty is history. If the PS's warranty is still in effect, why not RMA it?

i dont see how ppl complain about psu fans?
my enermax has a 3krpm fan and i cant even hear it over my quiet Clear case fans... and those are all under 40db, even the 120's i have on my rad.

When plugged into the mobo, the power supply fan runs at 100%. When it's not, it's temperature activated. The hotter it gets, the faster it will spin. If you want to say goodbye to your warranty, then you can open it up and replace the fan

It_The_Cow said:
When plugged into the mobo, the power supply fan runs at 100%. When it's not, it's temperature activated. The hotter it gets, the faster it will spin. If you want to say goodbye to your warranty, then you can open it up and replace the fan

well you could also just say goodbye period, if you go messing with an open psu...
ive gotten shocked by my tv be4, and OUCH! i couldnt use my leg for an hour..

It_The_Cow said:

cool, u have the same psu as me?

I now have a PSU two levels up (PP412x). Essentially the same PSU except it's 400 watts and has a P4 connector. I leave the fan on max since I can't hear them over my mildly loud Sunons. If you take your PSU out, it should say "Temperature Controlled" on it near the fan

Back