• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU, GPU, and HDD upgrade for $200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shirker

I'll try to keep this short. I'm deciding between two current Lenovo laptops with a pricepoint difference of $200, and here is a brief rundown of what each offers:

Laptop 1:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T6400 ( 2GHz 800MHz 2MB )
Intel Integrated Graphics X4500
HDD 320GB 5400RPM

Laptop 2 (more expensive obviously):
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 ( 2.40GHz 1GHz 3MB )
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M 512MB
HDD 500GB 5400RPM
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR

This will be a college laptop for undergrad engineering school. As for usage, I plan to do casual gaming (most likely CS:S) and watch 720p/1080p HD movies (x264). When in my dorm, the laptop will be connected to either a 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 LCD monitor. Taking into consideration the CPU/GPU speed increase, the extra hard drive space, and the addition of Bluetooth (which I have no idea how I'd utilize), should I bother shelling out the extra money?

Any and all opinions will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I'll try to keep this short. I'm deciding between two current Lenovo laptops with a pricepoint difference of $200, and here is a brief rundown of what each offers:

Laptop 1:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T6400 ( 2GHz 800MHz 2MB )
Intel Integrated Graphics X4500
HDD 320GB 5400RPM

Laptop 2 (more expensive obviously):
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 ( 2.40GHz 1GHz 3MB )
NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M 512MB
HDD 500GB 5400RPM
Bluetooth Version 2.1 + EDR

This will be a college laptop for undergrad engineering school. As for usage, I plan to do casual gaming (most likely CS:S) and watch 720p/1080p HD movies (x264). When in my dorm, the laptop will be connected to either a 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 LCD monitor. Taking into consideration the CPU/GPU speed increase, the extra hard drive space, and the addition of Bluetooth (which I have no idea how I'd utilize), should I bother shelling out the extra money?

Any and all opinions will be appreciated, thanks.

If you plan on gaming I think the laptop with the GeForce GT 130M and P8600 will be worth the extra $200. What are the specifications on the batteries on each of the laptops? You probably want a 9-cell battery with 80+ WHr if you plan on taking 4 hours of class in a day or if you run any CAD programs. Also integrated bluetooth would be nice for external mice since I for one hate the touchpad.

If you plan to do anything graphical you'll love have the descrete GFX. I'd say go for the upgrade if you'll use it.

So I took a closer look at the engineering school computing requirements and it looks like they want dedicated graphics anyway. I've never really had any experience with laptop hardware, but would it be cheaper/economically feasible to buy a separate laptop video card on my own and install it post-purchase?

I doubt it, generally laptop video cards cost have a billion dollars, and installing them can kill your warranty.

Go with the more expensive one.

Definatly go with the more expensive one, you would regret buying the other one. Especially when you want to play a couple of games.

Laptops are really difficult to upgrade in the graphics card area, if they can be at all.

Back