• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Studio 15 overheating issue!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necrokiller

Recently Ive noticed my Dell Studio 15 gets very hot and the fan gets very loud after prolonged usage. I checked with RealTemp and the temps shoot upto 85C for the Core 2 Duo T6400 (2ghz). Its hard to even type or touch it after a while.

I just bought this in February brand new. Is it due to extensive use or is something else wrong with it? Should I open it up and reapply the TIM?

If it is under warranty, contact Dell. Opening it will void any warranty you have left.

Make sure there is no dust, etc.

If it is under warranty, contact Dell. Opening it will void any warranty you have left.

Make sure there is no dust, etc.

Yes its under warranty. I cleaned the laptop thoroughly with compressed air and all. I have to send it in for other reasons anyway so might as well contact them for this too. Ive had nothing but bad experience will Dell Customer Support. They never fix the laptop properly.

Do you have the in-home care or do you have to send it to them? If you have in-home, have them send someone to your house to fix it and watch them do the repairs. Make helpful suggestions to them as they're working to try and get the problem fixed.

Do you have the in-home care or do you have to send it to them? If you have in-home, have them send someone to your house to fix it and watch them do the repairs. Make helpful suggestions to them as they're working to try and get the problem fixed.

Nope, I have to send it over. The hinge is getting loose as well. I had the exact same problem with Dell Inspiron 1525. Cheap parts...and they do a lousy job at fixing it. (they used some cheap glue or something :S)

037qai.jpg

038hyd.jpg

dsc06239g.jpg

NEVER buying Dell again.

NEVER buying Dell again.

QFT. my M1330 was one of the worst consumer products i've EVER bought from any industry. and no it was not all the fault of nvidia. in addition my mother's 1735 is VERY flaky. customer service treats you like a criminal and can barely speak english in the process.

i don't find it surprising that dell has gone down from #1 largest OEM to 3rd or whatever it is.

customer service treats you like a criminal and can barely speak english in the process.

i don't find it surprising that dell has gone down from #1 largest OEM to 3rd or whatever it is.

Yeah...HP and Acer have taken over I think.
Worst part its on a 4 years Installment Plan. :bang head

i really really REALLY hope the situation works out for you, man. final count: i went through 4 motherboards and 3 HSFs in the 1 year life span of my M1330. i'm a university student and Dell cost me so much productivity and grief over my past school year. i sold it after the last depot repair, bought an MSI Wind and am hoping the MSI treats me better.

i would think your situation is not quite as bad though; at least you don't have a graphics chip that you know will fail every 3 months. silver lining ha.

i really really REALLY hope the situation works out for you, man. final count: i went through 4 motherboards and 3 HSFs in the 1 year life span of my M1330. i'm a university student and Dell cost me so much productivity and grief over my past school year. i sold it after the last depot repair, bought an MSI Wind and am hoping the MSI treats me better.
Thanks man :) And I understand what you went through... this is being used for University work as well..so I didn't mind have an integrated Intel graphics chip.

I would say more but the temps are getting too high and I can barely keep my hands on the keyboard..have to shut it off for a while ..only 1hr 33mins uptime :(

hightemps.jpg

I'd definitely send it back.

My HP has yet to give me problems.... I also use it for school, too, so it gets used quite often.

Yeah there is something wrong with the heatsink or processor not being properly seated or the fans not working correctly from BIOS settings. My friend had the same problem with his laptop and a BIOS update fixed the problem.

My laptop (Inspiron 1545) also has a T6400 in it and it never goes above 70*C on full load just for reference.

My laptop (Inspiron 1545) also has a T6400 in it and it never goes above 70*C on full load just for reference.

Same here... ive done nothing different and it went past 80C just like that since the last 2-3 days.

Ill be calling up Dell and setting up a date to get this picked up.

that's dell's thermal engineering for you... i kept a screeny of my m1330's gpu load temp as a keepsake. here it is: green line on the graph is for the GPU.

yes. you read it right.. over 100C!! in addition, my CPU temp was also high - though not (as) dangerously high like the GPU.

Last edited:
Check to see if you have any hard drive intensive programs that run in the background. I had google desktop running indexing on my hdd on my m1330 and it would get extremely hot, sometimes so hot that you couldn't put it on your lap. After months of not being able to figure it out, I removed google desktop search and my laptop began to run cool...I'm assuming that the hdd was the source of a majority of the heat because of the indexing that continuously went on.

Holy **** this is frightening - should I just get an Acer laptop instead? I was looking at a Studio 15 but now not so much lol

Back