• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for Desktop Replacements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x30Jx

Here we go.

My brother has an Acer Aspire 9800 (20.1 inch screen) from several years ago, and when I saw it when he came home form university, I fell in love very quickly. As such, a desktop replacement laptop will be my next major purchase.

Here's what I am looking for:

• Larger than a 15.4 screen
    • Must be at least FullHD, preferably 1920x1200
  • Built with dual hard drives, or upgradable to without modding
  • Don't care about Processor, anything with dual cores faster than 2.4 GHz is dandy
  • Video card that will be decent enough for minor photoshopping, eating 1080p for breakfast, and some light gaming. (Like SimCity 4 and Civilization. Nothing major)
As for my budget, it will be rather tight, so I am looking for a sub 2000 machine.
Also, tell me what brands to lean to, avoid, etc.

Thanks for input
Joe

are you looking for a desktop or a laptop?

are you comfortable enough to build your own machine? you can get a better system for less if you do it that way.

I think he is looking for a desktop replacement laptop. Generally I think dells/alienware are pretty good. Your specifications are pretty crazy for a laptop though and it might run more than your 2000 dollar budget.

are you looking for a desktop or a laptop?

are you comfortable enough to build your own machine? you can get a better system for less if you do it that way.

Yes, I think I am comfortable enough to build my own rig, but like I said, I hate dealing with desktop space and setup. Yes, there is more power/dollar, but there is nothing during power outages, much longer setup times,

I would say take a peak at www.xoticpc.com
They probably have some stuff there you might be interested

They have AMAzing stuff. I am looking their stuff right now... a couple of the ASUS models look to fit the bill, though now i am also considering iMacs...

I think he is looking for a desktop replacement laptop. Generally I think dells/alienware are pretty good. Your specifications are pretty crazy for a laptop though and it might run more than your 2000 dollar budget.

Yes, they are crazy but I dont think I will ruin my budget:
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-n90sva1-p-2569.html

Only $1500 and everything I am looking for.
:eek:

Only thing I noticed about that Asus and a few Asus models I've noticed lately is what's up with the SiS chipsets?

SiS is a brand and they used to be the "budget" line even lower than VIA chipsets but I've not seen any reviews on this new chipset maybe its good:shrug:

Back