• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System requirements

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Trashcan

Dear overclockers,

I am looking for a new computer (most likely desktop) to conduct measurements regarding gait and other motion analysis (work-related). I would like to know what kind of system requirements I'm facing with the rig as specified below. More specifically, I'd like to know which components are most crucial to get right. I've been asking around, and everyone seems to have different ideas about what's important (do I need a high-end processor, gpu, more ram....). I should stress: costs aren't the main issue here: I need a system that'll work without a hitch, rather than get a 'good deal', getting stuck with stuttery performance in the process.

So, my question is, what do I need to facilitate this:

- at least 2 webcams (720p, 60fps), streaming live to the desktop
- the feeds will each be streamed in an instance of VirtualDub (no recording from webcam, just streaming to the screen)
- an application capturing the the feeds synchronously (most likely bandicam), saving it to a hard drive (preferably h264 encoded). If this turns out to be a major bottleneck, i could settle for a less compressed filesize, and compressing manually afterwards.
- The computer screen will be live-streamed to a large TV, so the patient can see the multiple angles of recording (to give feedback for specific movements etc.)

I'd love to get your opinions on this.

Thanks in advance,

Jorik

I would think a powerful CPU or multiple CPUs (like with a server board) and lots of RAM (32 gb?) would be the keys here. You are dealing with steaming video it would seem and that is a CPU intensive computation task, being lots of data rendered on the fly. Begin looking by considering the Intel Extreme series of CPUs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...671 50001157 600213784&IsNodeId=1&name=8-Core.

I realize this is a vague, incomplete answer but hopefully I am pointing you in the right direction. I would certainly contact the camera manufacturer and ask their opinion and also that of the companies producing any software you might be using.

This is a good one.

For the multiple applications, are they optimized by the manufacture to use multiple CPUs or single. If single, you could probably get by with a lower end quad core with faster MHz. If the applications do utilize multiple threads, a high end CPU with quad core and hyperthread or more with or without hyper-thread would be better. I would go with an Intel CPU as they tend to perform much better on a core by core basis. I would think that the current gen core i7 would be perfect. You probably don't need the top of the line just a quad with HT.

For the shear amount of "live" work, I would think that a large amount of RAM would be wise. Perhaps 16 GB.

For video streaming, I would look at a reasonable video card. It really doesn't have to be much and I would stear clear of factory overclocked cards. Your goal would be steady reliable perfomrance. Perhaps a an AMD R9-270x or R9-280. These cards could easily handle two live streams in and one out.

Finally, for storage, I would get a large volume SSD that is *not* TLC for quick storage plus a 1 TB "Green" drive (or larger) for long term storage as needed.

These ideas address any bottle neck that I can see.

Back