• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are PC games getting too demanding? Alan Wake 2 PC System Requirements Analysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Alan Wake 2 PC system requirements have now been released a week ahead of the game's October 27th release date, and they look absolutely brutal. According to the Steam hardware survey, there is a good chance your GPU is nowhere near ready for Alan Wake 2. How bad is it? Let's find out.

alan-wake-2-pc-requirements-1697834739853.jpg

It really doesn't look too bad to me. Just because they list the newest gen gpu/cpu doesn't mean it won't work fine on previous gen stuff. I don't plan on buying it but I'd have no hesitation running my 3080 rig at near max settings and expect good performance.

It really doesn't look too bad to me. Just because they list the newest gen gpu/cpu doesn't mean it won't work fine on previous gen stuff. I don't plan on buying it but I'd have no hesitation running my 3080 rig at near max settings and expect good performance.
Was going to say... this doesn't look that bad??? How that chart presents information is annoying, though... why 1440p 30 FPS? Why 4K/U/60? Seems so random, lol.

1080p 60 FPS ultra and a last-gen mid-range card doesn't scream Crysis to me, though. RT medium and high with 4000 series sounds like the RT isn't optimized well/yet and needs DLSS (NV game?).

EDIT: That's with DLSS.............hmm.....RT seems to be a killer on this game, Ick.

Hell to the no, any game nowadays that needs a 3070+3700x to run 1080p 60fps without RT w/DLSS performance (540p/960×540) needs to go back to the drawing board immediately. It's just bad coding or a bad graphics engine, or both. Without RT there should be nothing that prompts that kinda requirements except maybe 8k texture packs? And even then...

EDIT: It looks nice, but it's nothing jaw-dropping, nothing that would warrant that kinda requirements. This is a 4k recording (and there are spots that it clearly drops below 60fps) and I see pixelation everywhere. We've been seeing better lately with much better performance...

Last edited:
IIRC… Back in the day.. not Many computers could handle CRYSIS when it was released :cool: I still remember, years later wanting to get my computer super enough to play on high/ultra settings.

Oh yes, Crysis was insane for the time, new DX, new tech, insane graphics for the time, still only ran on one core which pissed off a lot of people with dual/quad cores 😅

Alan Wake 2? Absolutely nothing new from what I've seen, either tech or graphics. Not that I would play a game like it anyways, I like to keep my Cthulhu horrors where they belong (WH40k 😉), but here's to hoping Bugfreak is right and the requirements are grossly overstated so that Average Joe with a 2060 can at least 1080p 60fps it... Seriously, stuff like this makes me facepalm so hard, we back to console peasant days or something? Mid range 1440p rig required to play 540p 60fps 🔥 Bah 🔥

Gaming Jesus says that the reason a lot of older cards will not be supported is because they don't have the hardware for Mesh Shading? Google says "Nvidia Turing and newer, AMD RDNA2 and newer, Intel Xe and Arc, and all ARM Macs (M1 has mesh shader support)" ⇾ can anyone confirm or redact?

In this video, I benchmark Alan Wake 2 PC performance on a variety of GPUs and settings from the system requirements list to see how they stack up. I also test the performance of a GTX 10 series GPU to see if the mesh shaders requirement makes the game unplayable. I also take a brief look at DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction and the game's "fully ray traced" path tracing mode.

As was stated, GPUs without Mesh Shader support are not supported AT ALL, try the game at your own risk - Performance on supported GPUs is very close to advertised

Comparison to PC at ~6m40s

Last edited:
So in this video, I am following up by testing all the AMD GPUs in the Alan Wake 2 PC system requirements list (and more!). Note on drivers: while in the video I mention that AMD did not have a specific driver for this game, I was using the latest driver I found on AMD's website, 23.10.2. Have seen an article stating AMD has a driver that includes Alan Wake Optimizations, but it is not part of their official branch ⇾ https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-releases-special-adrenalin-gpu-driver-for-alan-wake-2

Seems like a lot of work for Alan Wake. I mean the first one was not the mega hit that Microsoft had hoped it would be... This one probably won't do much better. But did you really swap out GPUs that many times?

I would've probably... bought some tortillas? Seasoned some beef? Maybe found a GRILL somewhere? Rum? Ice? Beach?

Any of that? No?

Alan Wake 2 PC - Rasterisation Optimised Settings Breakdown - Is It Really THAT Demanding?

TLDR: DF says "Yes, it really is THAT Demanding... pls use console settings below..."

Clipboard02.jpg

40abfb383ab6502ab3f72ea3b20feb00.jpg

Is it using the same engine as Control? Will there be any tie-ins to Control (Control had a lot of tie-ins to Alan Wake, incl. a fight
w/the psychologist from Alan Wake [Dr. Hartman])

Does Alan Wake feature the Oceanview motel from Control? At least in Control it's supposed to have a door that leads to the town/village where the original Alan Wake events took place.

I haven't played it, but from what I have read/heard it did have some amount of crossover. I think it was said it's the same universe

@magellan

- Alan Wake 2 connects directly to Control through in-game documents and the AWE DLC, with Alan Wake guiding Jesse Faden and a future report teasing the sequel.
- The Federal Bureau of Control plays a significant role in Alan Wake 2, with appearances of their technician and their attempt to contain the Dark Presence.
- Both Control and Alan Wake 2 feature an area called the Oceanview, with connections to different dimensions and a shared spiral design, suggesting a deeper connection between the two games.

The End of Control's DLC Sets Up Alan Wake 2
While players can find in-game documents that detail the events of the first Alan Wake in Control, its connections to the previous Remedy game don't end there. In Control's AWE DLC, both games connect even more directly. Newly anointed director of the Federal Bureau of Control, Jesse Faden, is tasked with clearing the Investigations Sector of any lingering Hiss threats. Along the way, she sees visions of Alan Wake, who seemingly guides her along her journey. During her mission, Jesse has to hunt down and eliminate Dr. Hartman, a man from Bright Falls who was taken over by the Dark Presence and contained in the FBC headquarters. Once the threat has been eliminated and the sector has been cleared, Jesse is alerted that the FBC has just received a new Altered World Event report from Bright Falls, but it's dated a few years in the future, teasing Alan Wake 2.

The Federal Bureau of Control Makes Some Big Appearances in Alan Wake 2
Being the first game since Remedy's announcement of a connected universe, fans expected the Federal Bureau of Control to appear in at least some capacity in Alan Wake 2, and they may have got even more than they were expecting in the final product. Toward the beginning of the game, an FBC technician is fixing a relay near Cauldron Lake. After things take a turn for the supernatural, this relay starts to emit a loud beacon, presumably reporting an incident back to the FBC. Later on in Alan Wake 2's story, the FBC arrives in full force, attempting to contain the Dark Presence, which they call The Shadow.

Alan Wake 2 and Control Both Have an Oceanview Hotel
Both Control and Alan Wake 2 have an area named the Oceanview. In Control, the Oceanview is a motel, while in Alan Wake 2, it's a hotel, but the two seem pretty closely linked, though their connection hasn't been explicitly stated just yet. In Control, the Oceanview motel is a Place of Power that Jesse uses to travel between different dimensions, with each room's door taking Jesse to a different location. One of these doors allows Jesse to communicate with Alan Wake in Control's AWE DLC, and interestingly enough, it has a spiral on it, just like the doors that lead to the author's writing room in Alan Wake 2. In Alan Wake 2, the Oceanview hotel is a location in the Dark Place where the poet/filmmaker Tom Zane resides, and while with him, Alan even sees a quick glimpse of Jesse Faden on the TV.

Back