• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

power consumption on hibernate or standby?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoobydoo

Does anyone know how much power an eee701 would use while on hibernate or standby over a 24 hour period(max)?

I know it's an odd question, but I want to put an eee in my car and use it to play mp3's through my extra ipod touch using remote app.

I would like to hook it to constant power source so I dont have to keep turning it on and off every time I get in and out of the car(I get in and out up to 10 times a day for 30-60 minutes at a time for my job)

I also dont want to spend $150+ on a dedicated car power supply to do that, I just want to get a cheap dc/ac adapter and wire it inline to a constant power source or directly to the battery.

So if I set the eee to hibernate/standby after say 30 minutes do you think it could completely drain my battery overnight if I forget to turn it off at the end of the day?

I guess if someone could tell me how much it would use in an hour I could do the math from there;)

In hibernation it would use no power. Hibernation is simply the saving of the system state (whats in your RAM) to the hard drive, and then restoring that upon boot. You can hibernate and leave the computer unplugged for a week then boot it back up and it will be the same. Stand by is a low power mode, if you are running a simple adapter and not an inverter then I doubt it would drain your battery overnight. I think what you should do is have it go into stand by when you leave your car (either reassign the power button to stand by, or close the lid) and then set in the options that when the laptop is idle for an hour or two for it to put itself into hibernation where it will consume no power but quickly boot back up. That way it can't drain your battery overnight.

thanks for the help this looks like it might work on the cheap:)

the laptop will be in the glove compartment so the i will need to set "do nothing" for the lid being closed or take off the "lid closed pin". i am only out of the car for 1 hour tops so leaving it run probably wont be an issue since the only app that will be running on it is itunes

i can set it to hibernate after 90 minutes or something like that just in case i forget to turn it off when i get home

i was thinking something like this because it offers hard wiring for a cheap price. i already have an amp setup in my car with a distro block that has a few un-used ports so i can just tap into that and hopefully avoid any ground loop issues

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Watt-Power-Inverter-output/dp/B001RNOHBC

it also has a 5v usb so i can charge the ipod when needed

Vista/Mojave hibernate and Standby are conjoined.

When you select standby it saves to memory for instant restore, but simultaneously saves to harddrive (hibernate) incase power is lost.

Supposed to be good for laptops (I personally do not like it, if I lose power I want to start over)

I have my laptop (dell mini9) set to sleep when the lid is closed so it comes back (almost) instantly, and then to hibernate if it sleeps for twenty minutes.

Sleep mode flushes the CPU cache and turns the cpu almost entirely off, i don't know how much a celeron uses in sleep mode, but an atom uses something silly like .001 watts,
The NB stays active to refresh the memory, but not very active, and the memory doesn't have to move data, only store it.
Everything else is turned off or almost off, i'd be surprised if a sleeping netbook used more then 2 or 3 watts tops.

I wouldn't leave it sleeping in the car overnight plugged into the car battery, because if it's eating 4 watts the inverter is eating six or ten watts, which is almost an amp of draw. One amp overnight will leave you push starting your car the next morning (if it's a manual, at least).
For an hour or three during the day, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

i am hoping i can get used to turning it off at the end of the day, i have to get used to a whole shut down routine

i usually dont even remember to turn down the stereo and turn on the heat after work so when i remote start the car the next day the stereo is blasting and the car is still cold when i get in:(

Back