• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte x58-ud3r sometimes fails to boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@/2ct!<

I have a gigabyte UD3r x58 mobo with i7 920 @ 3.66, voltage 1.2875. I did prime95 @ 3.8, same voltage, for 12 hours with no issues. However, on occasion it will fail to even reach bios stage of boot and the backup bios will kick in and tell me about this failure. I used to think failure to at least boot would not happen unless I pushed the system past windows stability. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

It might help to know with what settings you messed with and which you left alone.
Maybe a list of parts and settings would help to start with :)

First part I would suspect would be the power supply.
Of course I am somewhat of a overkill power supply fanatic..too much wattage is never enough IMO
My system has a 700 watt power supply only because I could not afford a 1kw power supply when I built it.
This only happens rarely? or is it becoming more frequent?
You might need to reseat everything if you haven't already done it..e.g. pull the ram and put it back same with the vid card/s etc, and while you have the parts out, inspect them for defects, and blown caps and such.
You might want to inspect the case to see if there might be any metal shards sticking towards the mobo and possibly causing an arc (I know it's rare but it does happen)

A friend of mine had re RMA a power sup because he could just push on the side of the supplies case and the computer would reboot or just shut down. I wish I could remember the brand..the guts were loose inside and shorted out with the slightest bump....not good for a brand new build...good thing he noticed before it took down his expensive new parts.

I did have some issues while testing the UD3R...try loosening up the CPU cooler (if it's mounted with the "bolt-through" method)...I had trouble when mine was too tight :beer:

My psu is a Corsair 850. I think the issue went away after I raised my RAM voltage, I had left it at 1.5V for the BCLK to 180, which left me at 1440 for my patriot 1.65V rated ram. After I bumped it up to 1.64 and a small QPI boost, the issue seemed to go away, but I will try loosening my bolts too if the issue comes back.

Back