• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these the right fans for a watercooling setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chedderslam

Registered
This is my case:
case

It takes 11 fans. I will also be using a h50 cooler for now since the dark knight was too tall.

I will eventually be watercooling the setup with thermochill 120.3 radiators(3), two loops, two pumps, etc.

I want to go with blue led fans, and these were recommended on silent pc review:
fans

Unfortunately, newegg only has 5 stock, so I will need to by elsewhere at a slightly higher price.

www.heatsinkfactory.com

Because I will have so many fans, I was hoping for something quiet, My concern is if these will push enough air for the rads. 13 fans(11 for case, 2 for h50) will run almost $200, so I want to be sure these are the correct ones to get.

Any input?

That Ascension is a nice case (I have a U2-UFO myself), but will run you broke putting fans in it. I went with mostly these Yate Loon Low speed LED fans in my case, with 3 mediums like that also. And just a week or 2 ago I bought me 8 Yate Loon D12SL-12 Blue LED from Petra's for a good price. Of the 2 fans, the yates from Jab-tech are quieter than the ones from PTS (believe it or not). The ones I just bought from PTS all have a low pitched rattle in them when running. But I would recommend the Yates for your case and I'm using 3 of the low speed Yates on my PA120.3 myself and they seem to work well. If you go ahead and buy 13 of those led Yates from Jab-tech, it will only cost you around $61 versus over $200 of those "fancy" fans. And the led Yates I bought from Jab-tech are pretty quiet.

Its pretty unnecessary to have 13 fans in your case. The MM cases are meant for radiators and not really just for case fans. All those case fans are really overkill.

Why are you using an H5O in a MM case anyway? It's meant for small spaces, so why get a huge case just for that?

You might as well get a fan controller or two and get some higher speed fans and turn them down. I think that's your safest bet.

Yep, out of stock there now and like I said, the ones I just got from them are noisier than the Jab-tech models I bought when I built my rig.

I recently looked closely at the differences between the ones from Petra's and Jab-Tech. The one's I ordered from Jab looked just like the one's from Petra's according to the images in previous threads dedicated to the topic. Perhaps the distributors have changed their sources. I have yet the see how they perform, but I might order a Petra's YL when they get back up on their feet to check out the differences for myself.

That Ascension is a nice case (I have a U2-UFO myself), but will run you broke putting fans in it. I went with mostly these Yate Loon Low speed LED fans in my case, with 3 mediums like that also. And just a week or 2 ago I bought me 8 Yate Loon D12SL-12 Blue LED from Petra's for a good price. Of the 2 fans, the yates from Jab-tech are quieter than the ones from PTS (believe it or not). The ones I just bought from PTS all have a low pitched rattle in them when running. But I would recommend the Yates for your case and I'm using 3 of the low speed Yates on my PA120.3 myself and they seem to work well. If you go ahead and buy 13 of those led Yates from Jab-tech, it will only cost you around $61 versus over $200 of those "fancy" fans. And the led Yates I bought from Jab-tech are pretty quiet.

What kind of connector do the ones from jabtech use? Looks like molex from the picture. Is that correct. I will probably go with those since they cost so much less.

Thanks for the help.

I was very unimpressed with my Yate loon fans as they had too little backpressure to really dissipate the heat from my rads. Performance wise I would put some high end deltas on your rads with a fan controller for noise, with some decent looking grills, and use the LED Yates everywhere else. I love my Deltas and even at low speed (Quiet) they pull 3x the CFM of a yate loon.

I was very unimpressed with my Yate loon fans as they had too little backpressure to really dissipate the heat from my rads. Performance wise I would put some high end deltas on your rads with a fan controller for noise, with some decent looking grills, and use the LED Yates everywhere else. I love my Deltas and even at low speed (Quiet) they pull 3x the CFM of a yate loon.

What rads do you have? I agree some rads might need more than Yate Loons. And you didn't mention what Yates, they come in 3 flavors.

And what Deltas?

Just a bit too general to say Yates are poor rad fans.

And beside the point Conumdrum brought up, the PA120.3 rads are optimized for low cfm low pressure fans. And I might add, that I have proof that they will work fine on a PA 120.3, since that is my exact setup. The loop in my main system is an Iwaki pump feeding into a bonnie heater core with 2 medium led Yates on it, to my cpu block (Fuzion v.1 w/quad nozzle), feeding into the PA120.3 w/low speed led Yates, feeding into the MCP60 gpu block on my 260GTX, then returning back to the reservoir. My normal temps while running Rosetta on BOINC are the mid 40's on the hottest core on my proc. I am presently running the OCCT psu test for 30 minutes on my system, to see exactly how high the temps will go with my present loop, just to prove that low speed Yates can work decently on a PA120.3

EDIT: My 30 minute run yielded the following data:

Max load - 475 watts per APC monitoring software.

Core 1 max temp - 50.5 C
Core 2 max temp - 50 C
Core 3 max temp - 50 C
Core 4 max temp - 49.5 C

Max GPU temp (stock clocks) - 36 C

And on that 30 minute run, the temps were stabilized for at least 10 minutes of the testing phase of the OCCT run on the cpu and the gpu temps went to 36 C by 12 minutes into the run and never went higher.

Last edited:
I am running a pair of Black Ice Extreme 2 radiators. The yate Loon fans I used were D12SH-12's (68cfm max) I am running 2 Delta AFB 1212 EHE on rad 1 (212cfm max) and 2 AFB 1212 VHE on rad 2 (148 cfm max). It is not only the CFM but the air pressure that makes a difference here in my setting. When I was running 4 yates my temps would start out well but then start to climb over time, with the Deltas I am consistant.
I never really said yates were poor fans, I just said I was not impressed with their performance. I could take a piece of white paper and put it against the back of my rad when it had the yates and it would slip off after a few seconds. When I did the same with my deltas the suction would cave the paper into shape of the fins. I do see alot of low CFM quiet series radiators and I am sure that my opinion would differ in that situation.

What rads do you have? I agree some rads might need more than Yate Loons. And you didn't mention what Yates, they come in 3 flavors.

And what Deltas?

Just a bit too general to say Yates are poor rad fans.

I can see why you said the YL mediums were poor for you. You got the BIX rads. They were perfect for my PA 120.3 and XSPC RX360, I never needed them at max RPM either.

I can't find a comparable test, but yep, two different animals. Your rads are VERY good and can dissipate huge amounts of heat with HS high pressure fans. I just couldn't stand the noise.

God I hear you there! When I run these things on full during benching I can barely hear myself think! If I were to start from scratch I would probabally look for a quieter solution of equal dissipating value. I think I would have to run larger rads (3x120mm) with more cooling surface at a lower RPM.

I can see why you said the YL mediums were poor for you. You got the BIX rads. They were perfect for my PA 120.3 and XSPC RX360, I never needed them at max RPM either.

I can't find a comparable test, but yep, two different animals. Your rads are VERY good and can dissipate huge amounts of heat with HS high pressure fans. I just couldn't stand the noise.

The biggest problem I see with your BIX rads is the high FPI they have, which makes you run louder fans with higher static pressure to run efficiently. But with those screamers you have on your rads you do have some excellent cooling for your loop.

The biggest problem I see with your BIX rads is the high FPI they have, which makes you run louder fans with higher static pressure to run efficiently. But with those screamers you have on your rads you do have some excellent cooling for your loop.

Agreed but honestly speaking they cool amazing and unless I shell out almost double for a couple Feser rads I cannot keep up with my heat load. I only turn them up to *Scream* mode when Benching while gone or on hot days otherwise 50% is the perfect storm with these fans. (Of course 50% is probabally 2x the db as a YL). I still use my YL for intake / exhaust fans.
There are hundreds of posts on you tube of people cutting veggies or making small hovercraft with these Deltas for yuks.

Okay looks like we are past the quick statement that YL are poor fans. Glad we got this cleared up. Looks like it all depends on what rads you have and your heatload to determine what fans are best for each individual build.

Just don't want some noob to come in and read the thread and pick the wrong fans for their build.

All's good. Turned out to be a great discussion!

Back