• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fans and negative static pressure compensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eagleswind

If you have a PC case in which the intake of air is limited, can you compensate by using fans with a high airflow and static pressure rating for exhaust.

I have been trying to find videos or information on the science of this question. I am building a system using Thermaltake's Tower 100 which has a very limited airflow setup. In my current configuration I have a single 140mm intake for the interior floor, a 140mm exhaust in the back, and a sandwiched AIO with 2 120mm exhaust fans. Regardless of the 140mm intake fan, the case's design may still inhibit the fan's ability to intake fan. That's when I started to think - should I get high performance exhaust fans and would that make any difference?

Scenarios to ponder:
  • If I had a PVC pipe and connected a fan on one end that draws 60 CFM, does that mean I get 60 CFM through the pipe?
  • If I connect two fans (60 CFM), one at each end, do I still get JUST 60 CFM? Is there any efficiency gain?
  • Suppose I want 80 CFM going through the pipe, but I am limited to the one 60 CFM fan. Would it be worth me getting one or two high performance fans for exhaust (lets say 90 CFM each)?
BIG QUESTION: Would the intake fan actually cause a bottleneck - a greater negative static pressure for the exhaust fans to compensate for, and therefore I would be better off not having an intake fan at all?

Please do not focus on the case - the Tower 100 has its own challenges. LOL Focus on the questions and theory.

Well, since a case isn't sealed, pressure is really a relative term. I'd go with a high CFM fan for intake but wouldn't worry too much about pressure. The differences, in most cases, are negligible. That said, I tend to use a more exhaust than intake as I don't care about dust through the cracks.

IMO you want positive case pressure. Else, you'll get dust seeping in everywhere that doesn't have a filter. That's to say more filtered intake areas than exhaust.

Back