• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm done with Lian-Li fans man

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

This is like the fifth or sixth time a lian-li fan has gone dead or wonkers on me. This time a 140mm sl-inf fan will go from fast to near stopped and then speed back up. They require a url of a video. I have no idea or time to mess with that jank right now. So.. I think I'm just gonna buy the best non-rgb fans from now on. I need four 140mm white case fans and three 120mm radiator fans. Also, if they are not able to be linked I'll need a good fan controller. Which fans do you all recommend? I haven't been in the non-rgb fan game in a long time so I have no clue. Thanks yall and Merry Christmas.

I've switched to Noctuas mainly. Little pricier but I've yet to have one fail. They don't have White but they have grayscale fans if that works (the redux line).

Got 3x NF-P12s on my radiator and 3x NF-S12Bs as case fans. Can barely hear them unless the CPU is pegged and everything stays cool.

Noctua has never failed me and I'm getting tired of all the lights so you have talked me into four NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM fans and three NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM fans. Hope they all work!

I typically stay away from Lian-Li. I used to like their cases back in the day, but were pricey for me. Now I can buy one and I dont want to. Same with their fans, and definately their AIO. To find a company that stays true to their roots that were sown in quality is getting tougher to find these days.

I had one failed Noctua fan in 10+ years. I wanted to recommend it earlier, but I thought that white fans were required for this build, and Noctua has only black, brown, gray, or white rubber pads for the corners. I think that the white series is in plans for the end of this year or the next one, but maybe I mixed up something.

I typically stay away from Lian-Li. I used to like their cases back in the day, but were pricey for me. Now I can buy one and I dont want to. Same with their fans, and definately their AIO. To find a company that stays true to their roots that were sown in quality is getting tougher to find these days.

I used to have a sense of awe for Lian-Li cases that were all aluminum. I think the O11D is a fine case, it has some very nice features, and the number of knock-offs and spin-offs speak for the design. But the case doesn't give me that feeling of luxury that I associated with the brand's products of 20 years ago. I haven't used any of their other products, but they seem overpriced in general.

At first, I thought that the O11D was a good case. In time, I changed my mind because of the pretty mediocre finish of some components (like the top cover which was a pain to close in 2 of my cases) and the missing 5-10mm to install many custom water cooling parts. It was improved later with the XL version and some more, but also the competition had many other interesting options. I'm also not sure if they made this design as, surprisingly, at about the same time when it had its premiere, you could buy about the same cases on Aliexpress for half price. Maybe the same OEM, maybe someone else designed it, and they improved something. I have no idea, but the timing and the fact that releasing a PC case takes some long months is a bit weird.

As far as I dislike EK, they have some pretty good white fans. At least their 120mm RGB series work well in my test PC, and I have 9 of them. Before, I had some black/no RGB fans from them and were fine too.

Going back to Noctua, their Redux fans are a very good option. They're not so expensive and also not much worse than their top Sterrox series. They're also very quiet. This is at least my experience with multiple of them at various RPMs.

Last edited:
I've been using BitFenix 120mm's on my top rad and Phanteks 140mm's on the bottom rad. Out of 2 dozen BitFenix fans, only 2 started the rattle of kaos. So far out of 10 Phanteks only one died and the 2nd started a rattle.

So far both brands have held up pretty decent on pros and cons. I'm having a hard time finding more BitFenix fans so's I can have a stock pile to replace from. Might have to give those Arctic P12/P140's a go.

My recommendation, even above the excellent noctua 140mm fans would be:
SanAce 109P1412M101, this fan has lasted me since 2011, when it was 1st used w/my q9550 build! It's a 140x38mm fan though. There's a faster variant that produces more CFM than even the noctua NFA-14 IndustrialPPC-3000.

I do have some industrial fans, and if I am honest, those iPPC fans are way louder than they need to be.. but that is jmo of course :)

I'm really surprised with this as I've had Lian Li case fans running 24/7/365 since 2012, but suppose any hardware component is subject to fail sooner or later.
One good thing is they're cheap and easy enough to replace.

I can second EKs fans. White fans show dust easily if your a slacker on maintenance. I think they're over priced, but I got them on sale 5 years ago. I think they have better static pressure than the Arctic, but Arctic are a great value.

Back