• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lian Li Galahad making bubbling sounds every few minutes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I have a Lian Li Galahad 360 and about two weeks ago it started making noises. I first thought it was one of my fans, but they are fine. I then realized it was water pump bubbling usually every five-ten minutes. Nothing looks to be leaking and temps have maybe gone up by 3c tops. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue or will I have to ask for an RMA? Thanks guys.

Sounds like maybe an air bubble in the AIO? Have you shaken/rotated the chassis to try and get it out? How do you have that AIO mounted in your chassis (pic plz)?

My chassis weighs about 50 lbs. and unfortunately I tore my rotator cuff 2 weeks ago. I suppose I could rotate it a bit, but there is no way I could pick it up and shake it. Do I do this while it's running or shut it down first? It is mounted up top exhausting air. 20231005_072936.jpg

On is preferred so there is water flow to help get the air bubble out. Have someone else do it if you can't. But yeah, rotate that thing, lean it, back and forth, sideways, a good shake, or even a solid (but not destructive) bump of the chassis to get the air out.

You can try forcing the pump to run at 100% for a while and do the same thing...

See if they'll RMA it, I guess. I'm not sure if they'll take it or not. How did you test and get that 3C difference? Are you certain the room temp was the same? Was the testing EXACTLY the same (read: not a game, but a stress test-type load)? I just wonder if there's actually any performance loss when tested in a more scientific manner (if it wasn't).

I always run all my aio pumps at 100%. I didn't really test it, it was more of a guesstimate. Let me run cinebench and see what I get. It's always around 70f in my room.

I always run all my aio pumps at 100%.
Yikes. Well, you don't have to. I set that around the middle and fans on low.... quiet................ lol

I didn't really test it. It was more of a guesstimate. It's always around 70f in my room.
That's my point...

"Around" and "guesstimates" won't cut it. Also, a quick stress test is NOT a good measure of failure, as that can vary. If you really want to prove there is something wrong, you need a solid baseline to start and a longer running test. Anyway, do you remember EXACTLY what you got before in CB? Being 1-2C off in your guess makes a 1C difference nothing... in fact, 3C is nothing, really.

But yeah, see if you can RMA if the noise is bothering you. Keep us posted.

I prefer performance over noise. So, I ran cinebench 2024 for 3 passes. (I unfortunately have a dentist appointment today, dentists scare me) so I have to start getting ready. Anyways after 3 passes at 5.2 / 1.36 vcore, drawing 205.16 watts I ended up with a score of 1316, 82c package, 82c pcores, 65c ecores maximums. I'm happy with that, that damn bubbling gets annoying though. Later on, I'll see if Lian Li will do an RMA. If they will I'll need a good air cooler for under $50 for the time being. Was looking at the Thermalright Peerless Assassin se for $36 not sure if it'll fit with my mobo though. I'll have to do some research.

Das pump running 100% = cavitation which results in gurggling (sucking air in). I also noticed you have the pump/coldplate's fittings/ hoses facing up. I think that orientation is creating the air pocket to stay where it is.

Turn the pump/coldplate's fittings/hoses to face downwards ontop of the video card. Thus gravity will help alot keeping the pump full and air out.

These things, when being manufactured always has a tiny bit of air trapped inside before sealing. Certain orientations, tho look fine, are not suggested for the life of the pump.

You missed that one Joe? j/k ;)

I think that orientation is creating the air pocket to stay where it is.
The block needs to be below the top of the radiator according to GN. I'd also think air would get out with the tube up as it wants to rise and isn't at the highest part of the loop (the entire radiator is, hoses are facing down so air up top).

Still, I would try flipping the block around so the hoses are on the bottom and see if it stops. Hell even the rotation could jar it free.

Refresher... ;)

Yeah. I would have the hoses faces the bottom so's air rises to the top without sucking it back in, versus how the OP has it. I'll bet dollars to donuts the noise will stop.

You concur?

I have no idea. As mentioned above, I think it would go out with the tubing and flow as that is what it wants to do in the first place. Any air would naturally rise to the highest point in the loop... the radiator above the block and in/outlet (13 mins into the video above. A ~3 minute watch). I think air could get caught with the tubes down. My son's system is like that now and bubble free (for w/e reason). But......that's my guess using the logic in the GN video. As I said, even the act of reorienting the block could knock whatever is in there loose. :shrug:

I 100% think it's worth a try. Free and easy! Would I bet on it working? Not if I couldn't afford to lose my muneh. :)

Last edited:
I have my tubes up pump down, no gurgles, or any noise.. I would try by flipping the pump first, if that doesn't help then time for RMA.

I'm confused with this thread. Maybe I missed something important? Simply moving the unit around will only move any potential air at best won't it? If the thought is that there is air in the system, wouldn't we need to remove that air? I think that even closed loops like this loose water over time. I think that this is normal. Every so often needing a top off or a flush to remove any potential crud.

So are we recommending that he pull a hose to get the air out?

Cavitation is a real thing but would it happen with a pump of this size? I'm not sure that it has a enough torq to cause bubbles. I could be way off.

I'm confused with this thread. Maybe I missed something important?
AFAIK, it's a closed-loop AIO...? That said, I see some drain/fill port, perhaps.......I don't think the tubes come off and go back on easily.

They do tend to lose some liquid over time.

Well, it's a closed-loop AIO... how are you pulling tubes off to get the air out (and then get them back on??

They do tend to lose some liquid over time.
I get your point and I don't disagree. I never had an AIO cooling system. When I was water cooling I used parts from WallMart, Tupperware, a local junk yard, local pet store and Danger Den. Yeah. Danger Den. Look that up and you'll understand how long it's been since I water cooled.

I have no idea how the hoses are attached. But, "if" there is air in the system, the air must come out. Right? The key word is "if".

I have no idea how the hoses are attached.
Im not sure either, but most aren't modular like custom loops are. I don't think this one is, but am having trouble accessing the Lian Li website to confirm.

But, "if" there is air in the system, the air must come out. Right? The key word is "if".
There is air in every closed loop AIO (or custom loop, for that matter). If you can't access the internals easily (i.e.. the barbs aren't removable, and there isn't a fill/drain port), the point is to get the air out of the noise-making area (pump, according to the OP) and get it to the highest point where it, in theory, should stay (in the case, the top-mounted rad).

The short of it is if that little nub in the picture is a drain/fill port, he has the opportunity to fill it and perhaps get rid of the problem. Otherwise, it's a sealed system and you do the rad dance......... to get air moving/out to different places.

Back