• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installed Ram Shows 4GB and it says 2.5GB are usable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muelo1000

Registered
Now I read the sticky but still a little lost looking to be pointed the right way. So I installed windows 7 32bit and I have 4gigs on my rig so when I first installed it, it said that only 3 were usable ....so I am thinking ok maybe that how Windows 7 work, but today while playing Batman the game crash and it said it wasn't enough memory so I went ahead and checked and now it says 2.50 are "usable". Only thing I did was back up my operating system
. I don't think that would use any ram, any help would be appreciated.

You have too many programs running in the background? You have plenty of ram adressed for the game, but too many background things running. Like spyware?

Methinks 32 bit only addresses 3.3 gigs. I know I got the 64 bit pro version because I couldn't use the full 6 gig unless I got the 64 bit version.

You have too many programs running in the background? You have plenty of ram adressed for the game, but too many background things running. Like spyware?

Methinks 32 bit only addresses 3.3 gigs. I know I got the 64 bit pro version because I couldn't use the full 6 gig unless I got the 64 bit version.
I did had the anti-virus and everything that came with it running but why it initially went from 3.0 to 2.50 usable how can i fix this?, would the 64 bit help ?? I also was told that the graphic card also shares some ram I don't know how true this is but dosen't the graphic card has its own ram?

Usually, only onboard video (video chipset built into the mainboard) shares memory with the system. You probably have 1: too many background programs running including all the desktop eye candy, and or 2: you have a background program that is a system hog...McAffee, Norton comes to mind.

Usually, only onboard video (video chipset built into the mainboard) shares memory with the system. You probably have 1: too many background programs running including all the desktop eye candy, and or 2: you have a background program that is a system hog...McAffee, Norton comes to mind.
ESET smart security is my anti-virus dont know how big of a hog it is ?

Where are you reading "2.5GB Useable"? In the My Computer Right Click / Properties menu? If that is where you are getting this info and it has changed from 3GB to 2.5GB, then Windows actually thinks it only has 2.5GB of RAM at its disposal...

Did you change video cards or anything like that recently? Like from a 512MB card to a 1GB card?

:cool:

You wanna run Spybot Search & Destory for getting rid of spyware trojan stuff and Spyware Blaster both are free Spybot only uses RAM when it's scanning and Spyware B dosn't use memory at all just blocks Spyware etc from installing via the registry.

I don't think we can jump to the conclusion that RAM is actually being used (or that any applications - malicious or otherwise - are using that RAM) - but the OS is only able to USE 2.5GB.

We need to know where the OP is seeing this "2.5GB Useable" (he did not state "Available" but "Useable", as in what Windows says in the Right Click My Computer / Properties page). Has any hardware changed since you went from "3GB Useable" to "2.5GB Useable"? And WHERE exactly are you seeing "2.5GB Useable"?

Awaiting more info from the OP...

Where are you reading "2.5GB Useable"? In the My Computer Right Click / Properties menu? If that is where you are getting this info and it has changed from 3GB to 2.5GB, then Windows actually thinks it only has 2.5GB of RAM at its disposal...

Did you change video cards or anything like that recently? Like from a 512MB card to a 1GB card?

well I added the 8600 for my physx about a week ago

Thanks for reading my sticky. Please hold down the windows key, then 'Pause / Break'. What does the window display under the 'System' section in regards to RAM?

Please answer Randyman's question; "Where are you reading "2.5GB usable"?

Thanks for reading my sticky. Please hold down the windows key, then 'Pause / Break'. What does the window display under the 'System' section in regards to RAM?

Please answer Randyman's question; "Where are you reading "2.5GB usable"?
It takes me to the systems property it says Installed memory(ram) 4.00GB(2.50 usable) and to answer randyman's question that were I saw it in the system property......also ran spybot came back with 4 entries wiped it out re scanned the pc says its all clear.

Last edited:
If you added another video card in a 32-bit operating system, then it WILL steal some of that RAM address space in order to address the card's internal RAM.

That is likely all this is. 32-Bit OS's can't address more than 4GB of RAM, but then the BIOS steals some of that 4GB address space for MMIO (Memory Mapped I/O) to talk to the video card's RAM, leaving you with much less than 4GB of available address space for the OS to address...

You want more of your ram, go 64bit.

ahuh.gif

Thanx guys will do.......now this will require a clean install right and will I loose all my data, picture, software and save games ????? is there a way to keep this can I transfer my pics and save games from 32bit? if not no biggie.

I don't think you can do a 32>64 "Upgrade", so that sounds about right. You should be able to back up all of your saved games and stuff with any luck - you will need to know where this data is saved (I'm not a gamer).

I also copy (or export) my Favorites, any Desktop Documents, anything I put in my "User" folder (not much for me), my iTunes library (the XML files and the iTunes music folder), and my current Vuze (bit torrent) user data so I don't have to re-load all of my seeding torrents on the fresh install.

Just make SURE you are backed up before you start. FWIW, I think W7 has the ability to create a "Windows.old" folder with all of your old files if you so desire (I've never done this, but see that others have)

Good luck! :cool:

I don't think you can do a 32>64 "Upgrade", so that sounds about right. You should be able to back up all of your saved games and stuff with any luck - you will need to know where this data is saved (I'm not a gamer).

I also copy (or export) my Favorites, any Desktop Documents, anything I put in my "User" folder (not much for me), my iTunes library (the XML files and the iTunes music folder), and my current Vuze (bit torrent) user data so I don't have to re-load all of my seeding torrents on the fresh install.

I want more stars underneath my name lol

Just make SURE you are backed up before you start. FWIW, I think W7 has the ability to create a "Windows.old" folder with all of your old files if you so desire (I've never done this, but see that others have)

I want more stars underneath my name lol

Thanx guys will do.......now this will require a clean install right and will I loose all my data, picture, software and save games ????? is there a way to keep this can I transfer my pics and save games from 32bit? if not no biggie.

yeah its really easy just create a partition and copy all the stuff you want into it. basically your taking a portion of you hd and separating it.

After you back everything up into the partition that you want to keep, load up the new windows installer and it will eventually ask you where to install windows, delete/format the old main partition (typically c drive) and dont touch the backup, finish installing and then go move all the ***** to the new partition.

Muelo1000, please refrain from making junk posts like that. It is frowned upon here at OCF and can lead to loss of (future) privileges such as classifieds access.

Back