• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM annoyances :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desmondo

Registered
Hey everyone,

So just as spring break started here for US colleges, my RAM decides to start giving me problems.

Quick-n-dirty relevant PC info (previous):

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe
3GB (3 sticks) of Ballistix DDR2 800 PC6400 (4-4-4-12)

---

So a few days ago, my PC won't even POST. I trace it to one RAM module that the PC refused to boot with (that Ballistix series is THE WORST - 3/5 modules I've owned have died).

I get on Newegg, and get a Mushkin 1GB stick (DDR2 800 PC6400) with 5-5-5-12 timings.

PC boots just fine, but programs crash constantly. Games, even Firefox and Windows Live messenger. I figure it's another dead RAM module - but - memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic have both been error free.

**As I was typing this, memtest86 just turned up 3 errors on test run #2 (test 5).

I guess the question now is, how do I proceed?

(RAM settings in mt86: 4-4-4-18) -- shouldn't the last number be 12 since both RAM module types are rated for it? (Motherboard settings are on auto).

Any input would be appreciated...

first off :welcome: now lets get to work!

a. mixing different types of ram and timings is a HUGE no-no. my advice is to simply sway all ur ram out for some nice corsair 1066!! ddr2 is extremely cheap and it would be good just to upgrade period as that ram is some **** no offense

b. you could get ddr3 for a super upgrade as well!

first off :welcome: now lets get to work!

a. mixing different types of ram and timings is a HUGE no-no. my advice is to simply sway all ur ram out for some nice corsair 1066!! ddr2 is extremely cheap and it would be good just to upgrade period as that ram is some **** no offense

b. you could get ddr3 for a super upgrade as well!

I do NOT want to get the Ballistix ever again, and I don't want to spend $100 on 2 more Mushkin modules either (saving up for a major new PC around summer).

I figured I could get 1 module for the time being.

Anyway, I have heard that mixing is a bad idea, but it can work fine. What could be the issue?

(On my 3rd mt86 test run, still 3 errors only).

Update:

As of now:

2 full memtest 86 checks ran, both with 3 errors total.

on the 3rd test, it froze most of the way through it, with a recurring 0 - 32,000 error count (like a glitch, it kept counting from 0 to 32,000 or so)

Since then, I have updated BIOS and am testing windows stability.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

******Update 2:*******

Testing the 2x Ballistix

and

1x Mushkin

modules without mixing, memtest86 passed 3 times with zero errors (for the Mushkin) and 4 times with zero errors for the Ballistix.

Seems there's a matching problem for sure.

Could it be the faulty automatic timings? The mobo slots? Any suggestions? :)

Last edited:
Manually change the four primary timings to 5-5-5-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS). And what's the default voltage for both the Mushkin and Crucial?

Manually change the four primary timings to 5-5-5-12 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS). And what's the default voltage for both the Mushkin and Crucial?

I was thinking that exact same thing for timings.

The voltage, I have no idea for the Ballistix :( They had 2.2V and 2.0V versions, and I have modules that could be from separate batches.

The Mushkin is 1.8V.

Do the modules have stickers on them showing recommended voltage and / or model number? You could also check w/ CPU-Z, open to the SPD tab--> Memory Slot Selection pull-down; Part number and SPD voltage of each stick.

Last edited:
Do the modules have stickers on them showing recommended voltage and / or model number? You could also check w/ CPU-Z, open to the SPD tab--> Memory Slot Selection pull-down; Part number and SPD voltage of each stick.

Module 1 --> 2.2V (as per Crucial tech support after part # check)

Module 2 --> 2.2V (same)

Both (4-4-4-12)

Mushkin --> 1.8V (5-5-5-12) (both according to Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hkin_silverline_pc6400-_-20-146-117-_-Product

Last edited:
I think I'd try setting the Vdimm to about 1.85 - 1.9V and 5-5-5-12 / 15 / 18, and see if Memtest86+ passes at that voltage w/ all 3 sticks installed. Start w/ the tRAS at 18, as there will be little if any difference between that and 15. Also set Address Mode to 2T.

I think I'd try setting the Vdimm to about 1.85 - 1.9V and 5-5-5-12 / 15 / 18, and see if Memtest86+ passes at that voltage w/ all 3 sticks installed. Start w/ the tRAS at 18, as there will be little if any difference between that and 15. Also set Address Mode to 2T.

How does this work exactly?

Do I set the parameters for each stick individually?

Or that's universal settings (I'm guessing this is the case) - and would set them all to 5-5-5-12/15/18 with 1.85V - 1.9V (higher than the Mushkin normal, but lower than the Ballistic normal)

------------

Now @ 1.9V with 5-5-5-18

Using the PC in Windows (XP) still causes crashes in Firefox, which is the whole cause of the problem. :(

If I raise voltage to 2.2V, how high is the risk of destroying the 1.8V Mushkin?

Last edited:
its universal settings. I would just wait until you get the new pc to worry about ram and stuff

Pardon? New PC?

If you read my new PC thread, this is unrelated :)

I'm just trying to salvage my current rig to last me till May - June :)

Run Memtest86+ w/ timings at 5-5-5-18-2T and 1.9V before attempting to boot into Windows. If Memtest fails, then bump the Vdimm up to 1.95V and test again. Or you might try bumping the vNB up to 1.5 or 1.6V w/ DRAM voltage still at 1.9V or even 1.85V

Run Memtest86+ w/ timings at 5-5-5-18-2T and 1.9V before attempting to boot into Windows. If Memtest fails, then bump the Vdimm up to 1.95V and test again. Or you might try bumping the vNB up to 1.5 or 1.6V w/ DRAM voltage still at 1.9V or even 1.85V

How far do you think it is safe to push voltage on the 1.8V Mushkin?

It's hard to say without knowing what chips are on the module. If it were me I'd just remove the Mushkin, and run the two sticks of Crucial in dual channel at 4-4-4-12-2T.

Back