• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

distilled vs. De-ionized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCD-OC

I've been all over town today (In the UK btw) looking for a source of Distilled water with no luck

our local motor parts place does loads of de-ionized and before I go throwing it into my loop thought i'd just check

a) is it ok ?

b) any UK folks know where to get enough Distilled from ?

ta

OCD

UK WC`er to the rescue!

its all good, get your self off to hallfords or any petrol station and buy some battery top up fluid :thup:

yes its normally de-ionised and nope wont hurt a thing.

basically there both water with the calcium and magnesium salts removed so there both safe :)

enjoy!

Either will be fine for your loop. Back when I H2O'd I used either one and never had a problem. Just don't drink the de-ionized.

UK WC`er to the rescue!

its all good, get your self off to hallfords or any petrol station and buy some battery top up fluid :thup:

yes its normally de-ionised and nope wont hurt a thing.

basically there both water with the calcium and magnesium salts removed so there both safe :)

enjoy!

Cheers BBH - that's what I have done, and that's what I have got ... just gotta wait for watercoolingUK to open and get me some PT Nuke too,

Thanks
OCD

A bit late now but Wilkinsons sell De-ionised a fair bit cheaper than Halfords at £1 per 5 litres. They also sell 'King British' Green Algae Control (Copper Sulphate) for under £4 which will treat 200 gallons/900 litres and will last you for ever (plus your kids and grandkids).

I get 5 litres of purified water from my work (pharmacy) tis only a couple of quid... thats what i use, also scour ebay... thats where i got my biocide from...

Go Brits... :D

A bit late now but Wilkinsons sell De-ionised a fair bit cheaper than Halfords at £1 per 5 litres. They also sell 'King British' Green Algae Control (Copper Sulphate) for under £4 which will treat 200 gallons/900 litres and will last you for ever (plus your kids and grandkids).

Good job on cheap cu. But be careful on how much. If you look at Petras web page and the recommended amount and the specifics of the cu in solution you'll see it's not much.

I overdid my first one loop, added drops to the gallon before, and decided to add more to the loop, more is better right? It really stained the inside of my blocks, almost gunked. So be careful, you need so very very little real cu in the loop.

I premix my water as soon as I get another 5 litre bottle. That way I don't have to worry about whether to add more on top ups or whether I've forgotten to add it. I put a 'Poison' sticker on it to let me know that it's premixed and also add a sticker when I decant into litre bottles.

If the wife wins the lottery I might just forget to put a sticker on the bottle.

The process of de ionoization is not premanent. Highly purified DI water will start to absorb CO2 from the air and attack the surface of whatever it is in contact with leaching ions into solution. So.... DI water will quickly resemble distilled water unless you go to great lengths to prevent it (which you wont and can't). So save your money and buy cheap distilled water.

DI water is just not worth it. For one it's corrosive. (especially laboratory grade for which you should to use an inhibitor) As others have pointed out it will ionize after a while and guess what is the best source of ions? Copper.

Distilled water is extremely hard to find in the UK, all the places I've tried to find it locally only stock deionised. It is available online at around the equivalent of $28 for 5 litres (plus P&P).

$28? Ouch it is much cheaper for you to get someone to buy a gallon (about 3.8L) of distilled water locally and air mail it to any part of Europe.

You did check a major grocery store in the bottled drink area?

$28? Ouch it is much cheaper for you to get someone to buy a gallon (about 3.8L) of distilled water locally and air mail it to any part of Europe.

You did check a major grocery store in the bottled drink area?
Distilled just isn't readily available over there. I've seen dozens of our UK members say this. I'm surprised with your long stint on the forums that you haven't run into it before now.

But the important part of using distilled here is having all the possible contaminants removed and, as BobbyBubblehead has said, de-ionized is the same in that regard ...

Back