• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3G of 4 avail in 64-bit OS???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

3Gavail.jpg

:bang head

- Bios displays 3G avail
- Two chirps when POST
- Beep code indicates:
2 short - Memory parity error - A memory parity error has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. - The RAM IC is probably bad
- When installing ram sticks individually, full 2G shows in bios for each, but they individually get 2 chirps when boot up.
- Re-seated and tested each ram individually several times.
- 64-bit OS

So what is it?

1. Ram incompatible with board?
2. Settings?
3. Mobo bad?
4. Both Ram sticks bad?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Both CPU-Z and System Properties show 4GB of RAM installed, so are you referring to the "2.99GB usable" as shown in the Properties window?

Both CPU-Z and System Properties show 4GB of RAM installed, so are you referring to the "2.99GB usable" as shown in the Properties window?

This, and the fact that the BIOS post shows "3080MB... OK"

The BIOS is obviously reporting the installed memory correctly to the OS, regardless as to why 3080MB is shown on the POST screen. I would first flash to the latest A68 BIOS revision for the E652, then try re-seating the HSF being careful not to over-torque the hold-down screws. And while you have the HSF removed, check the pins in the socket for any that might be bent.

if you have it in bios turn on memory remaping
Rich

Done, reloaded all defaults and this is enabled by default.

Windows now shows 4G, I am not entirely certain if this is the setting, or the reseating of the ram that did it.

I restarted my PC, although it shows all ram, it still chirps twice during the POST right after the memory check. Bios displays 4G now as well though.

-D

The BIOS is obviously reporting the installed memory correctly to the OS, regardless as to why 3080MB is shown on the POST screen. I would first flash to the latest A68 BIOS revision for the E652, then try re-seating the HSF being careful not to over-torque the hold-down screws. And while you have the HSF removed, check the pins in the socket for any that might be bent.

Latest bios loaded yesterday, all 4G's are avail, but the double chirp is still happening at post. Maybe I should reseat the CPU and check for bent pins like you said..

-D

Do you have your memory in the red colored slots and does your POST Codes show anything when it posts.

Do you have your memory in the red colored slots and does your POST Codes show anything when it posts.

Yep, red slots - I do not know how to check post codes... I looked everywhere and I couldn't see any post code LED on my mobo. All lights are on, green (power) blue (standby) and orange (Dram ok)..

-D

Well that's odd, I was looking through your manual maybe yours does not have one.

Appendix A. POST Codes for the EVGA
P55 Micro Motherboard
This section provides the AMI POST Codes (Table 6) for the EVGA P55 Micro Motherboard during system boot up.
The POST Codes are displayed on the Debug LED readout located directly onboard the motherboard. This Debug LED will also display current CPU temperatures after the system has fully booted into the Operating System.

Attachments

• post code.JPG
    post code.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 147
Well that's odd, I was looking through your manual maybe yours does not have one.

Appendix A. POST Codes for the EVGA
P55 Micro Motherboard
This section provides the AMI POST Codes (Table 6) for the EVGA P55 Micro Motherboard during system boot up.
The POST Codes are displayed on the Debug LED readout located directly onboard the motherboard. This Debug LED will also display current CPU temperatures after the system has fully booted into the Operating System.

Yeah, they have these on all other EVGA P55's, but not my specific model... :shrug:

I took cpu out, looked for bent pins, everything seemed good - i'm sure it would have stood out. Re-seated the cooler with a fresh coat of TIM, less this time as the last application was ridiculous lol.

Now when I boot, it still chirps twice. I think I'll get used to it... :bang head

Update:

EVGA told me that beeps will happen for each USB device that is plugged in, which is normal. I unplugged my keyboard and mouse, and VOILA. No beeps. When I plugged them back in, beep beep. I will do it again after work to confirm.

Thanks for the help guys!

BTW: EVGA responded wicked fast. I was VERY impressed. Posted the request yesterday immediately before posting here (9:57PM), and had an email waiting for me this morning at 7am!! The answer was actually dead on, very consice/accurate, no messing around with a bunch of questions, no uhm and aahhh-ing... Now THAT is service.

Back