• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for cheap 775 mobo that takes DDR or DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So I'm looking to upgrade my Althon XP machine, I usually use it for people who need a pc, but somehow I always get it back eventually. I think it's time I upgrade the thing and maybe next time someone will actually keep it! I've got a lot of DDR ram, and worst case I could use a 1 gig kit of some DDR2 I have, although I'm trying to get that back into my main machine.

So what would be the cheapest motherboard out there is socket 775? I look at newegg and there a re a couple G41/G31 motherboards. I'm not really looking for anything with much overclock but I do want quality. I know quality and cheap don't go but what I don't want to spend is $100, on this. I was thinking of looking for the Conreo865PE by ASRock but I could only find two on ebay.

Also I'll probably need a small psu, any recommendations? I doubt the psu on the althon xp has much of a life left in it, or even the amps on the 12v rail to power a conroe.

Thanks!

Well, there's the Asrock 775Dual-VSTA and 4CoreDual-SATA2, those support both DDR and DDR2, and are pretty cheap.

Looking at everything though I can use just my DD2, it seems like I can get a G41/G31 board for the price of the ASRock boards. I don't have a gpu so it'll be integrated graphcs and the G41/G31 has "better" integrated for being very close in price, no?

This PSU doesn't even have a P4 plug! I'll defiantly have to find a new one.

Gots me a 4CoreDual-SATA2 when I stepped up from Socket A. Lemme tell you a few things about them.

1) The PCI-E is only x4 (physical slot is x16 but electronics are only x4).

2) The AGP and PCI-E cannot be used at the same time, so you couldn't add a high end PCI-E sound card (or raid/firewire/gigabit lan/whatever) and run the AGP socket at the same time.

3) The board clocks older hardware much better than the new stuff. With DDR1, AGP and PATA I got a 60% OC :rock:. Once I got DDR2, PCI-E and SATA I was dropped down to 15%, same CPU. :cry:

Having said that they are good boards if you don't expect the moon. But you probably could do better.

Back