• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help to get fully stable i7 920 & P6T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stellaguy

Registered
Guys,
Just signed up to this forum so hi to all. From what I have read there is a lot smart people here so i'm hoping someone can help me out with my overclocking issues. I recently built my system and by following the info on other users posts I have got my system to 4GHz, however it now gets random crashes and on other occasions it will not even boot first time so i'm guessing I still have some settings in my BIOS wrong. My temps are not an issue as it only ever hits around 79 degrees after a couple of hours of Prime 95. I seem to need 1.33v on the cpu to achieve this tho which I think is a bit high as this is a D0 chip and I read these O/C at lower voltages than this.

I have uploaded a couple of BIOS pics so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction so a stable O/C. I would be more than happy to be running @ 4 although I know these chips can go higher.

Many thanks.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• BIOS1.JPG
    BIOS1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 83
  • BIOS2.JPG
    BIOS2.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 99
I've got the exact same specs as you apart from the CPU Cooler (which is better than mine), GPU and RAM (but it's the same MHZ)

I'll post the timings + volts I use for you. One mo

AI Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
Intel SpeedStep Tech - Enabled
Intel Turbo Mode Tech - Enabled
BCLK Frequency - 190
PCIE Frequency - 100

DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1523MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# PRE Clock - 8 DRAM Clock
DRAM RAS# ACT Time - 24 DRAM Clock

CPU Voltage - 1.25000v
CPU PLL Voltage - Auto
QPI/DRAK Core Voltage - 1.3v
IOH Voltage - Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto
ICH Voltage - Auto

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66v
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA - Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB - Auto

DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC - Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC - Auto

Load-Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto
I use all of the above and I haven't had a single BSOD or Random Crash/Hang/Restart since I've started (which is about 4 Months ago)

My idle temps are around 38'c
My load temps are around 60'c

On another note, you could further reduce your temperatures (I noticed a change of 15'c) just by replacing the 230mm fan on the side of the HAF 932 with 4x 120mm 70cfm fans - for only £20

Last edited:
unfortunately no luck with those settings - booted into Windows and BSOD within 5 secs :(
Raised the cpu v to 1.3 and this is ok just now but Prime will let me know if this is stable. I have a feeling ive bought a chip that craves juice! - just my luck!! :rolleyes:

you should disable CPU Spread Spectrum and PCIE Spread Spectrum
Enable Load Line Calibration and you might need more qpi volts if you still have it set to auto change it and set a value of 1.3 to start and move up from there.

Forgot to ask - where did you buy your fans for the Haf 932? I used this case for my previous build (Gigabyte 775 with q6700) and was virtually silent. With my P6T it seems really noisy - fans spinning fast all the time. I tried slowing in BIOS but temps went crazy.
4 fans would look much better anyway!
Cheers

I got my fans from chilledpc.co.uk

I recommend Yate Loon because they've got quite a good CFM output (the higher the better) for low price + noise, but the ones I purchased (which pumped out 70 CFM each) are out of stock.

Here are the Yate Loon fans that they stock:
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=75_89

Edit: I also got my fan controller there which I use instead of the connectors on the Motherboard itself.
Mine was a cheap one at £12.99 and I also bought some 2 into 1 adapters so I could connect the 4 side fans and the other 2 loudest case fans to it

Cool - I'll have a look and get some ordered. - Everything seems to be running sweet @4GHZ just now but time will tell!
Thanks all for the help - i'll probably be back tomorrow tho.
Cheers.

Back