• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hpman55555

Hi All - I have a HP dv6700 laptop that recently started showing some problems. When the computer boots up, it shows the BIOS screen, all BIOS options are accessible, but the computer will not start windows, all that comes up is a black screen and eventually the computer turns off.

If I hit ESC at BIOS I can see there's a flash of a Resource conflict message before the screen goes black. I'm leaning towards believing this is the heart of the issue.

I've tried booting into Recovery Console, the console loads some files but never gets past the black loading bar. I've also tried to boot up using a windows installation cd and usb stick, there's a boot options menu that pops up (from the installation disk) but the menu is frozen...there is a 10 second counter that doesn't tick down and keyboard commands don't move the menu.

I've tried defaulting the BIOS, taking out the laptop battery and taking out the motherboard battery; I'm still seeing the same results. Does anyone have any suggestions for further debugging/resolving this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Those HP DV6700s were notorious for the GPUs Overheating as W2richwood pointed out (biggest problem was dust). It has a very undersized cooler on the GPU and there is actually a mod to put in a copper shim which a guy in Orlando Florida does (including reflowing the solder) for like 100 dollars.

Let me see if I can dig up the link. Until then, quit turning it on.

Watch this video, then read he gives information where to send it for repair.

yea if you google this problem it seems there is a overheating issue with these laptops ide try cleaning it out or if possible running it without the case on to get some cool air and see if it boots, only thing is i cant see it overheating so fast or hanging in bios due to a hot cpu, ide look into a bios problem maybe update the bios or even a hdd error, try another hdd and try to format.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm going to try pulling the HD and booting. Should I see an error relating to not having a boot device if it is in fact the HD?

And if it's the mobo I'd see something similar to the results I'm seeing now right?

Your problem is the GPU, no doubt. It causes the system to not even boot. You can hear everything running, just no video and the front LEDs do not light up. Unfortunately if you watch the Video, the GPU is part of the motherboard.

I have actually worked on one of these, and you can physically see how the GPU is bubbly.

My recommendation is if you would like to keep this Laptop, then send it to the guy that does the repairs. He improves them by adding a copper shim which helps dissipate heat. Even if you replaced the motherboard the problem would just come back as it is a result of poor heat sinks.

Back