• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Q about Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Felix_Ram

Hi all, I hope you can help me.

I just bought an Asrock Extreme4 MB, and an i7-2600k chip, and with them 2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance at 1600mhz and 4 gb each.

I have overclocked the cpu and it is running stable at 4.2 Mhz with pretty much all bios settings on Auto. So I haven't fiddled with it much yet, but it is stable in Prime95.

So I was reading this review of the new i7-2700k, and it showed a pcmark 7 score of about 4300, and curious I wanted to run that test on my own. And to my surprise I got around 3500.

And I could see that my RAM were running at 667Mhz.

CpuID confirmed that, so I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Howcome my RAM are running just as slow as my old DDR2 RAM? Can anybody help me out.

First off the 667mhz you see is actually 1333mhz. It is dual data rate so you always have to multiply by 2 to get the actual speed. Go into the BIOS as change the RAM multiplier to 1600mhz, it's that easy.

Actual speed is actually 667mhz. The ddr rate is double that . Ddr can do in and out at the same time so that's why its ddr, but the mhz is the lower #. ;)

Back