• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop vs Server cpus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

Been looking at the difference between the two. Thinking of going with a 16 core G34 Opteron.

However thought I would ask here before going. I have been unable to see how they stack up against regular desktop cpus such as the i7 2600k.

Just need some education..ing before I spend some cash.

Unless you can use more than 6/8 cores, no point in getting more. Otherwise, performance should be the same clock for clock.

You dont benchmark Fureh ;). Sometimes those chips run with a lower voltage and are better overclockers. Otherwise, for a regular user, I agree, no point.

The fact the only diff that cpu might get more than a few points in a bench, is the fact the server chips support ECC, which can be a huge deal to some, not so much to me...so i dont see the point in the expense in a chip when you dont use the ECC functionality at all... The way i look at server chips is the same way i look at a big reliable truck, it will get you there, without fuss or worry for the most part.

Desktop and server chips aren't all that different anymore. But you will still pay a premium for the server version. As a person mentioned before, ECC ram compatibility is one of the main added features. But the ECC ram is also going to cost more. I don't know about AMD but the Xeon versions of chips have extra PCI lanes. So say you don't want to need a few more PCI lanes than the LGA 1155 boards have but you don't want to go all the way to an LGA 2011 build, you can instead get a 1155 Xeon and matching board.

As for that 16 core behemoth you're considering, you gonna have to give more details on what you plan to do. Unless you are running a true server, i dunno how you're gonna use all 16 cores. There are the SB-E chips with 6physical cores and 12 logical.

To my knowledge the are not always better for OCing (but i could be wrong). Yes they run at lower voltages and consume less power, but they also cannot tolerate as high a voltage and when you increase the clock you need more power...

so, what do you plan to do with this machine?

Been looking at the difference between the two. Thinking of going with a 16 core G34 Opteron.

However thought I would ask here before going. I have been unable to see how they stack up against regular desktop cpus such as the i7 2600k.

Just need some education..ing before I spend some cash.

In order to advise, I'd say I really need more information on what you're after. If it's just a whim to get the server chips, then I'd advise you not to spend the extra for no good reason. In terms of pure performance, I don't think there's usually any difference. Now there's a difference in reliability - definitely. If you tell me that you are running something mission critical, then get them. Also, server chips are sometimes required for some options. You mention G34 Opterons. I'm going to guess that you may be looking at a dual-socket set up. If you're doing that, then yes, you would need the server chips. I'm putting together a dual-socket G34 system. My need is some graphics rendering (no, not using a graphics card, I mean animation work). But if you just want a single chip, you don't care about ECC memory or just getting something with super reliability, I wouldn't recommend you pay the extra.

But if you do have a need such as heavy rendering or maths simulations for a dual-socket set up; or it's going to be running your company's core systems or something, the latest Opteron's are a really good option with a good price.

What will the system be used for? If it's just showing off, spend the money on something more visible to more people. ;)

Back