• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will be any new chipset for P4 this year?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buggy

Registered
Hello!

I'm planing to build P4 system with overclocked 1.6A processor this year.
I don't wont to be too quick with choosing mobo because there may be new chipset released. Does anybody know if there will be a new chipset and when? What will be its new features.

What will be the best solution buy now or wait (how long)?
Thanx for answers.

Regards,
Buggy

Intel is going to be releasing two new chips later this year. The 2.4 ghz (released in April I think) is going to use the same 850 architecture as the current northwoods. The 2.533 and 2.666 (to be released in June) are going to be the 850E chipset which will increase the FSB to 133 mhz and will be overclockable to 166 no problem. Check out the link for a good article about the topic.

As far as waiting goes...you might wait until these faster chips come out as the existing chips will become more affordable; i.e. 2.2 ghz will drop in price.

Hope this helps

I am in the process of building a P4 system as well. I decided to go w/ the 1.8 ghz and the Asus P4T-E mobo. The asus is pretty easy to over clock and has many nice features to it. Another board you should check out is the Abit board (I think it is like the THII...or somthing like that). With either of those boards you can use your 1.6A and get it up to over 2.0 ghz easily. I have heard of people getting the 1.6 to as high as 2.2 or 2.3 but not much higher than that.

As for your question. I am not sure if you would be able to use the 1.6A with the 850E chipset. The only article I have read on the matter is the link above at Tom's hardware. If anyone else has any knowledge on the matter I'd appreciate a reply

i haven't read any about those new intel chipset yet, but to me, if 133f is standard, as long as the board can underclock or your chip is able to handle 133, then i guess it is ok to drop one in. Unless intel makes some specially limitation (change of volt for example), otherwise, i do think it is backward compaible, just my 2 cent.

All the glory for Mr Pabster, He deserves it. But those Guys running site nowadays are destroying completely what used to be THE Site.

I think Intel and DDR II will be very competitive by the end of the year.
Some taste is offering this new E7500 chipset with up to 3.2 GB/s of bandwidth across two Double Data Rate SDRAM memory channels, so far awailable for server usage.

Back